Positivity....

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
When Badlad and I took over UKC in September of last year  I knew little about the forum, wasn?t registered and didn?t lurk.  I reckoned I?d best start learning so registered and began reading the posts, 1000?s of them.  I?ve probably read 90%+ of everything posted in the past months.

What have I learnt?  UKC is like a pint of ale, a deep body with froth on top.

The froth? The bickering, moaning, criticising, spats between certain members (he said, she said, he said ? well actually mainly just he said!) etc, etc , blummin etc.

The body?  The vast wealth of knowledge on this forum.  I have frankly been amazed over the past months and just how much UKC forum members know.  I?d had no idea....

? Live in The Peak but visiting The Mendips and want some advice on which caves to visit? UKC members will help

? Lost some kit down a pothole somewhere? There?s a good chance UKC members will find it and help you get it back

? Have a question about surveying, never mind how technical? You?ll likely get  detailed answers

? Interested in photography?  Need advice?  UKC members will help and many will like to see your work too

? Want to know the words to a favourite caving song?  You?ll find them here

? Has someone already dug that likely looking spot you found?  Just ask...

? Looking to buy a new piece of kit, not sure which to chose? You guessed it, just ask...

? Want to know about an obscure pothole?  Want to know about a popular one??

? Want to know how to build a water tippler, or fix your flash gun, maybe patch your over suit??

? New to caving and don?t know where to start, UKC members will point you in the right direction

Ask just about anything cave related and someone will have an answer.  Questions have been asked and answered by the UKC community for over 10 years.  An incredible amount of information is already amassed on the forum, with more being added every day.

Don?t have a question just want some cave related entertainment? Make a brew and read a trip report or two, hear what your fellow cavers are down to or of course you may be one of those with knowledge to share and are answering questions, thank you.

So which is more important folks the froth or the body?  In my opinion far too much emphasis is given to the froth and negativity on UKC and too few stand up for the incredible resource for cavers that is UKC - hence this post.  It doesn?t seem to be the done thing to actually say much positive about UKC ? so I thought I would, and no, not just because I part own it but because of what I have observed and learnt over the past months...

So here?s a thought ? how about some pride in what has been achieved by cavers for cavers is taken and a little less time on the forum is given over to the same old gripes about the same old issues?

Take moderation for example ? days often go by when all the moderation team have to do is move a new topic from one board to another, or maybe approve a post made by one of the (very, very few) members who are on moderated status.  Sometimes one would think the moderators are working flat out deleting posts, editing and banning people ? they simply are not, some days the Mods have absolutely nothing to moderate on.

100?s of new members have registered since last September, however few of them post let alone post regularly*.  100?s more cavers ?lurk? every day but can?t post as they aren?t registered.  I realise many people prefer to look at forums and not engage and that?s obviously fine, however to be told again and again that some cavers are looking, even registering but don?t feel comfortable enough to engage due to the ?atmosphere? on UKC is a crying shame - when you consider what an important resource for caving and cavers UKC is, doesn?t it make you wonder how much better it could be if we all had access to the knowledge and experience non UKC members hold as well?

So, thinking positively - If you have posted on UKC then you are part of a fantastic resource created by cavers for cavers  :hug:

* I?d love to ask why?  However can hardly expect answers posted on the forum. If you?d like to drop me a PM it would be great to hear from you, thanks.

kay

Pegasus said:
100?s of new members have registered since last September, however few of them post let alone post regularly*.  100?s more cavers ?lurk? every day but can?t post as they aren?t registered. 

The number of forums I read without being registered is about 4 times the number I'm registered on. I can't be bothered to sort out that many registrations and passwords! Compared with other places on the internet, ukc seems pretty civilised ... but then, I'm used to gardening forums!  ;)

ah147

Pegasus said:
SNIP
100?s of new members have registered since last September, however few of them post let alone post regularly*. 

SNIP

* I?d love to ask why?  However can hardly expect answers posted on the forum. If you?d like to drop me a PM it would be great to hear from you, thanks.

I'd guess:
1. Lack of anything to contribute.
Mainly three types of threads, questioning, trip reports and creative. I ask questions, I'm still new. Many cavers are happy at their current level/learn alot through clubs, so don't really feel the need to ask. Trip reports, well I've only submitted two in my life, neither to UKCaving, only because what I did was possibly of interest to others for a special reason, the other reason to post trip reports links to creativity. Creativity covers jokes, trip reports, photos, funny topics and general bumph...creativity is just hard for a lot of people.

Posts? Well it's hard to answer a question either once its been answered, or if you don't know the answer. Trip reports, if they're of special interest they may provoke a few questions, but most are more creative trip reports, which can really only be answered with creativity or a "wow, thats good" which many people just don't post. Creative threads? Creative answers, creativity is still hard :(

2. Most cavers know each other.
Maybe not directly, but they reckon 7 degrees of separation in every day society, I bet on here it's much more like 1. This can make posting a little more daunting to the inexperienced, maybe more daunting to the experienced too in case people take what they say badly. Because it's a small sport many things get discussed/sorted off this forum. For example, a few days ago someone made a request for some pictures on here, I know both the person asking and a person with the pictures, so I emailed both and the pictures were duly sent over. Little thing, but I bet many things that would make brilliant topics on here are sorted in person.

Then, I don't know if you're linked to facebook login, but I read an article the other day about facebook like-farms joining forums etc to try and give some credibility to their facebook accounts.

Most of all though, couldn't agree more with how helpful this forum is. I've been caving two years and it's helped me every step of my progression from complete and utter non-caver who honestly couldn't even imagine what a cave was like, to cave diving trainee, with 3 expedition invites for this year and four for next year so far!

ianball11

Best thing is the knowledge that is shared, worst thing is seeing posts I made ten years ago which make me cringe.

ah147

ianball11 said:
Best thing is the knowledge that is shared, worst thing is seeing posts I made ten years ago which make me cringe.
Pegasus said:
When Badlad and I took over UKC in September of last year  I knew little about the forum, wasn?t registered and didn?t lurk.  I reckoned I?d best start learning so registered and began reading the posts, 1000?s of them.  I?ve probably read 90%+ of everything posted in the past months.

What have I learnt?  UKC is like a pint of ale, a deep body with froth on top.....

SNIP

Two reasons this forum needs a like button...

Goydenman

Thanks for reminding me about the useful body of stuff being answered and to see beyond the froth.

TheBitterEnd

Posted this on the moderation thread but going to quote it here because it seems as relevant here as there

TheBitterEnd said:
Pegasus said:
UKC is absolutely not the home of the caving trolls.  To those that use UKC to get their caving news but don't post consider this, if everyone takes the stance of not posting positive information/questions etc, things will never change - be part of the solution rather than part of the problem - if you feel there are too many 'trolls' on UKC then drown them out with positivity!

That's just not possible though, post something on here and you may get some reasonable contributions initially but then the hyenas will come and start tearing it apart and generally stamping all over it and shitting everywhere. Look at Badlad's PMR thread it only got to post #5 before someone started accusing others of breaking the law...

For me the forum seems to very much divide into givers and takers, there are plenty of people on here who never make a positive contribution (say they like something, offer a "well-done", post a report or photos, design 3D rendering systems or draft detectors  ;)) but they are always around to piss on someone else's efforts. Those who do contribute do not see any cumulative reward, one-off prizes in competitions are all well-and-good but there is only one winner and lots of losers, there is no lasting recognition for regular positive contributors.

Duncan S

In the few months I've been on UKC I've been given a wealth of knowledgeable advice and made new friends.
Some of the arguments are fascinating; bolting, rope life, descenders/stops to name just a few.
UKC is a brilliant resource!  :beer:

Peter Burgess

Members who use the forum as a noticeboard for exchanging information or asking questions should really cause no problems at all.

Members who use the forum to promote an opinion or to complain about something simply need to be aware that what they start stands a greater chance of provoking negativity. The simple rule is to be aware of this and to post with care and consideration for those who don't think the same way as you.

royfellows

I wondered onto here to fill a vacuum caused when mine-explorer went south, Mile Moulding has said that it will be back, we shall have to see.
Now I am using UKC and aditnow.

One thing I am noticing is that it appears to me that mine explorers and cavers are coming closer together, maybe its always been that way but I have never noticed. Whether I am right or wrong about this I have to take on board the fact that the caving community are important stakeholders in what I am trying to achieve in Wales. I think that a good start for me would be to use UKC in the same way as I do aditnow as a means of keeping people informed.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
kay said:
Compared with other places on the internet, ukc seems pretty civilised ... but then, I'm used to gardening forums!  ;)

That did make me smile, Kay  ;)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
ah147 said:
Most of all though, couldn't agree more with how helpful this forum is. I've been caving two years and it's helped me every step of my progression from complete and utter non-caver who honestly couldn't even imagine what a cave was like, to cave diving trainee, with 3 expedition invites for this year and four for next year so far!

Thanks for all your comments - I'm listening and taking note.  I agree posting can be daunting, I found it daunting at first and still remember how it felt so as we improve UKC with updated software etc I hope to make the 'getting started' bit as easy as possible.

However mostly I wanted to say thank you for your positive comments I've quoted above, so very good to hear  (y)  ;)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
TheBitterEnd said:
Posted this on the moderation thread but going to quote it here because it seems as relevant here as there

TheBitterEnd said:
Pegasus said:
UKC is absolutely not the home of the caving trolls.  To those that use UKC to get their caving news but don't post consider this, if everyone takes the stance of not posting positive information/questions etc, things will never change - be part of the solution rather than part of the problem - if you feel there are too many 'trolls' on UKC then drown them out with positivity!

That's just not possible though, post something on here and you may get some reasonable contributions initially but then the hyenas will come and start tearing it apart and generally stamping all over it and shitting everywhere. Look at Badlad's PMR thread it only got to post #5 before someone started accusing others of breaking the law...

For me the forum seems to very much divide into givers and takers, there are plenty of people on here who never make a positive contribution (say they like something, offer a "well-done", post a report or photos, design 3D rendering systems or draft detectors  ;)) but they are always around to piss on someone else's efforts. Those who do contribute do not see any cumulative reward, one-off prizes in competitions are all well-and-good but there is only one winner and lots of losers, there is no lasting recognition for regular positive contributors.

Bear with us TheBitterEnd, the hyenas are not as ferocious these days.  Re givers and takers and the givers not being rewarded - well that was one of the reasons for my post, to remind cavers of what an excellent resource they have created - it's fab, well done to all, especially those long term contributors  :hug:

Badlad and I will do everything we can to continue to improve the atmosphere on UKC.  Forums being what they are (see Kay's post about gardening forums for goodness sakes!) there will always be debate and sometimes it will get heated - we don't want a flat, boring forum but we don't want shitting hyenas either so, again please bear with us as we learn how to strike that balance.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
To everyone who has posted on this thread - thank you.  (y)

I am listening to everything you say...

nearlywhite

royfellows said:
I wondered onto here to fill a vacuum caused when mine-explorer went south, Mile Moulding has said that it will be back, we shall have to see.
Now I am using UKC and aditnow.

One thing I am noticing is that it appears to me that mine explorers and cavers are coming closer together, maybe its always been that way but I have never noticed. Whether I am right or wrong about this I have to take on board the fact that the caving community are important stakeholders in what I am trying to achieve in Wales. I think that a good start for me would be to use UKC in the same way as I do aditnow as a means of keeping people informed.

That'll save me having to pop over to AditNow  ;) Simon won't be pleased!