Board changes - Obits

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
We are looking at updating the Boards on UKC as it's been many years since they were last altered.

One idea (amongst many) is to add a section for 'Obituaries', however we are undecided - so thought we'd ask for opinions.

a) Should there be such a section or is it just too depressing?

b) If 'Yes', what should it be called?  Obituaries? In Memoriam? Vale? Rogues Gallery? For They were a Jolly Good Caver? Other??

We know 'obits' can be a bit depressing however would it be a good to encourage folks to post tales/memories and anecdotes about a caver's life.  Many do such a lot for caving and it all gets so easily forgotten and isn't easily passed onto the next generation.

Thoughts please....

langcliffe

Pegasus said:
Should there be such a section or is it just too depressing?

I really cannot envisage a reason why an attempt to celebrate the lives of our friends could be considered to be depressing.

I fully support the proposal. Quite apart from allowing people to pay homage to their friends, trying to establish those all-important anecdotes after a generation has passed is too late. One of the purposes of the Audio Archive is to record people's memories, whether their own or someone they knew, for posterity. The more places we record those memories, the better.

Peter Burgess

Just call it Obituaries. That will cover all bases - those who wish to be serious and those who want to add frivolity. I think this is a really good idea. Somewhere to pay an appropriate tribute. I know when cavers I have known have died, it was good to find other cavers who also know the same person, but of whom we had little or no knowledge.

Pitlamp

Very well put Langcliffe.

I don't see what's wrong with "Obituaries".

If you're reconsidering the various areas on this forum, can I raise something I suggested several years ago but got slapped down by various folk? The "Yorkshire" stuff should be titled "The Dales" and the "Derbyshire" stuff should be titled "The Peak District". Both are far more meaningful.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Pitlamp said:
Very well put Langcliffe.

I don't see what's wrong with "Obituaries".

If you're reconsidering the various areas on this forum, can I raise something I suggested several years ago but got slapped down by various folk? The "Yorkshire" stuff should be titled "The Dales" and the "Derbyshire" stuff should be titled "The Peak District". Both are far more meaningful.

Agreed, Langcliffe has put it very well - just waiting to see what others think as well.

Re your last point - you may be pleasantly surprised  ;)

However please keep this thread on topic folks, thank you  (y)

Mark Wright

For me, the word 'Obituary' doesn't convey the celebration of the persons life that is shown by so many people from all over the world who make posts on here. Peter made an excellent point about the mutual friends of the deceased, I can relate directly to that.

What about covering Births, Marriages and Deaths with:

'Hatch, Match & Dispatch'

Mark

Ian Adams

langcliffe said:
I fully support the proposal. Quite apart from allowing people to pay homage to their friends, trying to establish those all-important anecdotes after a generation has passed is too late. One of the purposes of the Audio Archive is to record people's memories, whether their own or someone they knew, for posterity. The more places we record those memories, the better.

+1  (y)

Ian

AR

If we're looking for something less formal than "obituaries" as a section title, how about "absent friends"?

rhychydwr1

There is already a section for Obits.  It is called ukCaving Wiki, they are listed under History, then go to People. 

SamT

How about a poll...

Rogues gallery would get my vote, then Absent Friends - though I do like the spike milligan reference too. 

cavermark

Mark Wright said:
For me, the word 'Obituary' doesn't convey the celebration of the persons life that is shown by so many people from all over the world who make posts on here. Peter made an excellent point about the mutual friends of the deceased, I can relate directly to that.

What about covering Births, Marriages and Deaths with:

'Hatch, Match & Dispatch'

Mark

I think adding a births, marriages etc. Might balance it out. But you could just use "lost and found"  ;)

graham

The thing about the use of the word 'obituary' is that everybody knows what it means, thus it may be suitable for a page heading yet allowing rather less formal headings to be used on individual threads.

That's one reason why we (UBSS) use the word when publishing one, firstly everybody knows what's coming next & secondly the word can be searched on in the online index very easily if, for example you've forgotten the exact spelling of a person's name.

The Craven always used to use Ave Atque Vale in their journal but I doubt we've many Latin scholars left these days. ("Hail and Farewell" the final line of an elegy by Catullus to his dead brother.)