UKC on facebook

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Love it or loathe it, UKC now have a facebook page.

We're hoping to encourage those that use facebook but not the forum to 'come and have a look', especially younger cavers - though of course facebook users of all ages are most welcome  ;)

Many thanks to the Marks of the Buttered Badgers for helping me create the page  (y)

https://www.facebook.com/ukcaving

droid

I like Facebook. It's very interesting to see something of the people you are in discussion with.

Forums are good, but they do tend to be a bit anonymous.  :)

Maj

Liked and following.
(y)

I doubt I'm considered a youngster any more, despite behaving like one at times.

Maj.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Maj said:
Liked and following.
(y)

I doubt I'm considered a youngster any more, despite behaving like one at times.

Maj.

I like that, Maj - good attitude  ;)

kay

Pegasus said:
We're hoping to encourage those that use facebook but not the forum to 'come and have a look', especially younger cavers -

My 25-ish son tells me "only Old People use facebook nowadays"  ;)

(Don't take this seriously. I've just (belatedly) created a facebook page for the nature park I look after)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kay, you're son is right I'm sure, however there's no doubt our new facebook page is bringing UKC to the attention of cavers not currently aware of/using the forum  ;)

Roger W

droid said:
I like Facebook. It's very interesting to see something of the people you are in discussion with.

Forums are good, but they do tend to be a bit anonymous.  :)

Maybe we should have some more real photos for avatars instead of the pictures of railway engines and things...?

Filter

Roger, people are allowed to be as anonymous as they like on the internet ;) Hell, UKCaving is probably the only forum where I have a headshot as my avatar (including Facebook)

droid

Roger:  :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I like the irony.

However, I've published my real name (Dave Drury) several times on here.

And I'm not pretty enough to use a mugshot as an avatar on a forum of sensitive souls like this. So I used 'Alycidon'.

Facebook is a different matter though.... ::)

kay

Pegasus said:
Hi Kay, you're son is right I'm sure, however there's no doubt our new facebook page is bringing UKC to the attention of cavers not currently aware of/using the forum  ;)
(y)
The more cavers use ukc, the more useful it becomes as a way of sharing information

Joe90

kay said:
Pegasus said:
We're hoping to encourage those that use facebook but not the forum to 'come and have a look', especially younger cavers -

My 25-ish son tells me "only Old People use facebook nowadays"  ;)

(Don't take this seriously. I've just (belatedly) created a facebook page for the nature park I look after)

Bugger, I'm 26 and didn't realize facebook was old news. I guess I must be past it now. So what are the youth using now?

Bottlebank

kay said:
Joe90 said:
Bugger, I'm 26 and didn't realize facebook was old news. I guess I must be past it now. So what are the youth using now?

WhatsApp according to my son.
And backed up by this:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/10/teenagers-messenger-apps-facebook-exodus
Doesn't do quite the same job, though.

A relatively youthful friend persuaded me to try Snapchat and WhatsApp. Having given both a thorough testing I concluded they were absolutely f*****g useless. I predict Facebook will outlast both, but what do I know :)

Inferus

Tried Whatsapp and got bored of it pestering me to pay. I saw no point paying for a messaging app when I can use the texts I get in the package or email (where I can send pictures,  not that I do). Snapchat seems pointless.
Facebook is handy for posting pictures, contacting people, finding out about places etc..
Twitter is like a news feed for me,  great for local and national news and traffic updates!

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Well I had enough bloody trouble sorting out twitter (click the bird!) and facebook (many thanks again to the Marks of Buttered Badgers - a roast lamb dinner doesn't seem enough of a thanks for all the help!) and that's it for now, sorry whatsApp - whatever you are!

cap n chris

Facebook is the winner; young people possibly don't frequent it much because everyone else does, which means everyone else can see what tedium the yoof are doing, so clearly they're starting to inhabit otherwheres now the fogies rule the FB platform.

kay

global_s said:
Wouldn't it be better as a group, rather then a page?

Can you briefly elaborate? I've just set up a page for my local nature park, which works for me because I can make it publicly visible, while controlling the content. A group would mean anyone could contribute, right? But you can make it so people have to apply to join a group, and you can allow anyone to contribute to a page, so I'm not clear on what are the advantages and disadvantages of a group or a page.