New Caving Area

Alex

I don't understand why would collapse, though. Its only microgravity? I guess it could be down to the fact its just dust but that should not form a shaft as that would just end up like a dimple. Hmm one thing could be rotational gravity but I would expect that to throw things out not pull things in, Intriguing.

I reckon they are impact creators more likely.

I guess I should read the whole article before commenting:

The theory being posited is that as the comet moves in towards the Sun it will heat up, and buried volatiles will be driven off, opening up hollows.
These voids may already exist to some extent in what is known to be a highly porous body, but the lost volatiles will only exacerbate the situation.
And the dusty, rocky ceilings above the caverns will not be able to support their own weight - even in the low-gravity environment of 67P - and will eventually fall inwards.

mrodoc

Arthur C. Clarke was there first. He had somebody exploring caves on a comet in one of the 2001 series of novels.

ianball11

I remember reading Tintin's lunar speleology in the 'Explorers on the Moon' comic when he was trying to rescue Snowy.