SUCC Trip Report 2 SA PALU

Aoife

SA PALU Trip report ? Simon Protheroe
We began our trip with the traditional Italian pre-cave espresso with our local guide, the legendary Salvatore, know to all as BoBo.After the usual thrilling drive down roads already collapsing into the twisting canyons in the heart of the Sardinian mountains we arrived at Su Palo. A short 15 minute walk in the 30?C heat down along the banks of a babbling stream, past a characteristically ominous partially demolished bridge to the entrance of the cave.
We SRT?d down the only pitch near the entrance a slanting rift with rebelays and slight squeezes. At this point I shall mention that Bobo speaks no English and none of us spoke Italian. Whilst Bobo and I awaited the rest of the group's descent, we discussed everyone's nicknames, printed on our t-shirts, and we ended up comparing a pvc oversuit to a condom! Once reunited we emerged into a boulder chamber and chased the streamway past some stunning calcite flows and formations. Sardinian cavers have a distinct aversion to water and we were all very amused watching Bobo avoid getting we feet at all costs, whilst making cat noises!Due to time constraints on our guide and callout, we could not press deep into the depths of the cavern so after a quick snack break we headed back the way we came to the exit.
Sardinian cavers are renowned for their good taste in food and drink, so after changing we all stood and the ate local bread and marinated chicken drumsticks whilst drinking stubbies of the local beer!We marvelled at the huge insects crawling around a fruit baited bug trap nearby.
Before heading back to the cafe where our callout was logged. Where more beer was drank whilst chatting, eating dessert and admiring the views from the mountain top cafe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 12.48.32.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 12.48.32.png
    460.9 KB · Views: 275

Ship-badger

Go back without a guide next time, and go much further. We went here years ago, and it is one of the best trips I have ever been on.

Did you go to Su Bentu? It's even better.