UPDATE: LUSS (The making of)

mattamos

Due to the huge interest surrounding the resurrection of Lancaster University's club, and the herculean support we've received, it seems right to provide everyone with a progress report. To placate the powers that be, please remember all of these activities have so far taken place as an unofficial university group.

Trips
The group has been on several trips underground, including alum pot, bull pot, county pot, old ing, and others. Just last night three of us descended to the depths of alum pot down the north west route. The club has also enjoyed introducing complete novices to caving, often with the help of other clubs.

Admin
This is the slow part. We have been working with the students' union to formalise the club's official existence, and this will hopefully be complete in January. I'm excited by the numbers of students and staff at the University who share an enthusiasm for caving, and this is really promising for the future and the longevity of the club.

Thanks
We must include the large list of people and organisations who have helped us tremendously, both with gear, time and admin. I was blown away by the support we've received and hope that in a few years LUSS will be in a similar position to help and support others. Our thanks go to:
NUSS for SRT kits
CHECC for gear
Swaledale Mountain/Cave rescue for torches
York Uni Club for hosting an upcoming SRT training session. Especially Alistair for help with a recent trip
Rostam for invaluable help with admin
Jo White from BCRA
Leeds and Sheffield clubs for help, advice and support
SLUGS for gear
Red Rose for the loan of gear
Jack Overhill

It's so encouraging to see the excitement in the community for the re-existence of LUSS. I know we all at Lancaster are extremely excited about the future and will be keeping everyone updated in due course.

Cheers
Matt

Minion

Brilliant news! Well done!!!

If you fancy some proper caves in South Wales (none of that OFD showcave nonsense), give me a shout!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you get this over the line - very best of luck.

Feel free to ask us if you need any more support, kit, funding, sponsorship etc

Pitlamp

What? You're getting LUSS up and running again? That's the best news I've heard for a very long time! I remember its heyday, in no small part due to the guidance of Dick Glover. I also remember when LUSS used Clapdale Farm at Clapham as a base; I went to some excellent parties there.

The LUSS journals of that period are first class. Please keep that in mind; it would be so good to see another one appear some day.

Of course several former LUSS members are still actively caving around the Dales and elsewhere. I'm sure they'll be pleased to learn of this.

Anyway, good for you - I wish you every success!  (y)

Fulk

LUSS had a very good reputation when it was an active club, and it was a shame to see it go to the wall. I wish you guys all the best in getting it up and running again.

Seemed a nice bunch when I met some of you in Selside before Alum. Let us know if you need to borrow any tackle again: sure we can sort some from Red Rose or Rubber Ducks.

Goydenman

This is great news...well done those who are working to restore LUSS and well done to all those who helped them.
Come and visit Nidderdale and we will buy you all a pint since we can't provide much support but at least we can do that.