Place name meanings

Pitlamp

Does anyone know what "Tad(d)" or "Tod(d)" in a place name means?

Obvious examples are Taddington, Tadcaster, Todmorden, etc

Any ideas? (It's connected with a query I received from a local historian who has turned up a possible unknown Dales pothole in some old literature - understanding the meaning of the name may give clues as to its precise location.)

Thanks.

Hello John
Wikipedia is your friend.
"The name Todmorden first appears in 1641. The town had earlier been called Tottemerden, Totmardene, Totmereden or Totmerden." This would suggest that "Tod" didn't feature in the town name's etomology.
Tadcaster could be derived from a personal name "Tat" or "Tata" + "caster" which was used by the Anglo-Saxons to described a place that had been a Roman fort.

Of course, Tod is an old but common name for the fox as in surname Todhunter.

mudman

Growing up outside Brighton it was explained to me that ing= of the people of and ton=enclosure so Taddington would be The Enclosure of the people of Tadd.

Simon Wilson

The country's leading authority on place-names connected with physical geographical features is Margaret Gelling who co-authored the book The Landscape of Place-Names. She does not connect tad/tod with any physical feature except possibly 'look-out place'. Two of the 'toad' examples are also connected with water features, 'mar' and 'ford'.

From that book:
Taddiford    (toad)
Tadlow    (possibly toad)
Tadmarton    (toad)
Todber, Dorset  (possibly personal name Tota or tote 'look-out place'
Toddington  (personal name Tuda)
Todenham  (personal name Teoda)
Todlith    (fox)
Todmorden    (personal name Totta)

Maj

andys said:
So then John - seems you need to find a look out place with a toad on it!  :)

Could that then be a hole that a toad is peering out from ?

Toad in the Hole!

There is already of course Toad's Hole in Burrington Combe.

Maj.

AR

Out of interest, what is the name you've been given, and do you have a rough idea where it might be? Tithe awards (and specifically field names) might just give you a pointer if you can narrow down to a parish.

Pitlamp

It's in Clapham parish; I don't have the details because I was asked about it by someone else.

richardg

Hey Pitlamp..

This is an interesting post you've presented us with....

I've often found that when looking at place names it often helps to read it directly in the local dialect..

"Tod" as Roger suggests translates as "The Old"

mikem

There was the Bull & Cave Inn (1851 map on page 23):
http://hinko.org/hinko/Dowloads/BCRA/BCRA%2031-1-2004.pdf

Or 1846-7 map here:
http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/analyst/?mapcfg=historic_maps

Tithe maps for 1847 & 1851 are at the National Archive, Kew.

Mike

mikem

Although I've just found Tod Holes Hill & Lane (so presumably refering to foxes) at Wigglesworth, to west of Long Preston...

Near Mendip there is Lye Hole, that I have seen referred to as a cave, although it is actually a hollow in the hill.

Mike

Pitlamp

Thanks - you say "presumably referring to foxes". You've lost me there - could you elaborate a little?

Wigglesworth is off the limestone of course (but there is a fine pub there where northern clubs occasionally have dinners).

andys

...."Tod" is an old name for a fox - see earlier post - so suspect that's what is meant....

Goydenman

andys said:
...."Tod" is an old name for a fox - see earlier post - so suspect that's what is meant....

Did someone shout me.........oh thought you said name for an old Fox