Bagpit Fissures

mikekushy

Hi all, has anyone been to visit Bagpit Fissures (Draycott) recently?

Or, does anyone know the owners of Bristol Plains Farm...or even possibly someone at the gliders club to get access for a look as there is no public path to it.

Middle down drove is interesting also.

The Old Ruminator

Talk to Martin Grass Mike we were discussing these sites at the weekend. I think " Gonzo " had permission for Middledown Drove but whether he is caving now I do not know due to illness. I think Middledown is owned by Somerset Wildlife Trust.

The Old Ruminator

Some Registry references.

Bagpit Fissures Barrington, Nicholas and Stanton, William 1970 The complete caves of Mendip p.22 Cheddar : Barton Productions with Cheddar Valley Press, 131pp, illus, maps
Bagpit Fissures Barrington, Nicholas and Stanton, William 1972 The complete caves of Mendip p.26 Cheddar : Barton Productions with Cheddar Valley Press, 2nd ed., 155pp, illus, maps
Bagpit Fissures Barrington, Nicholas and Stanton, William 1977 Mendip : the complete caves and a view of the hills. p.29 Cheddar : Barton Productions with Cheddar Valley Press, 236pp, illus, maps
Bagpit Fissures Witcombe, Richard G 2008 Who Was Aveline Anyway? [Derivation of the cave name p. 12] [2nd. Ed] 212pp.illus. WCC

http://www.mcra.org.uk/registry/sitedetails.php?id=710

As you say no footpath but the track from Cheddar Head Farm runs close. The site is very close to The Southwest Overthust and the line of closed karst basins associated with it.