Magic Smoke

braveduck

Those people out there  who use magic smoke in a can from Maplins
to trace drafts underground ,would be advised to stock up as Maplins has
gone bust and their shops may be closing shortly .

Les W

You can buy smoke detector testing smoke, in a can, from most electrical suppliers or wholesalers
and from RS, Amazon, Ebay, etc...  :sneaky:

Graigwen

I buy mine at Maplin, purely for convenience. They refer to me as " the man who buys two cans at a time..."

tony from suffolk

"Magic Smoke" is the term us DIY electronic hobbyists use to describe an adverse incident, as in "I released the magic smoke". Never a good sign...

pwhole

I popped in to Maplins at lunchtime and picked up a spare can, though was a bit stunned at the price - ?12.99. I'm sure it was a lot less than that before. Maybe someone's told them what else it's used for?

NewStuff

One of the many reasons they're in Administration. Overpriced tat, staff that knew what they were doing left etc. It was obvious the writing was on the wall when they started offering finance.

ZombieCake

I've just picked up some 4.5Ah D cells in Lidl for ?2.99 a pair.  Maplin own brand are 3.0Ah for ?6.49 a pair.  Lidl ones work very well and are heavier so no reason not the believe the extra capacity, which is why I got some more.  Maplin 2.8Ah D cells are ?9.99 a pair (looks like discontinued) and probably just AA cells in a D cover (most D or C batteries of similar capacity for most makes are supposed to be just AA's in a bigger coat.  OK Lidl are ephemeral when it comes to availability, but Amazon has also been invented, with lower overheads than high street stores and their daft rent levels.  Makes competition harder.

Graigwen

pwhole said:
I popped in to Maplins at lunchtime and picked up a spare can, though was a bit stunned at the price - ?12.99. I'm sure it was a lot less than that before. Maybe someone's told them what else it's used for?

That is a recent ?3 price hike.

Maplin was not cheap before, just convenient.

pwhole

Laurie

My favorite was the man from Radio Spares who used to visit with what's new on their catalogue every couple of months.
Nothing like the giant RS it became.  :(

shotlighter

Laurie said:
My favorite was the man from Radio Spares who used to visit with what's new on their catalogue every couple of months.
Nothing like the giant RS it became.  :(
Everything in a yellow cardboard box IIRC.
Catalogue was just one slim volume!