Daren Cilau through trip description and survey.

Oscar D

Hi all, am planning a trip to Daren Cilau on Thursday and was wondering if anyone had a description of the route or a survey of Busmans to aide in route finding as none of party has set foot in Daren before and it seems as though getting lost can be rather easy, especially towards the end of the route. Thanks.  ;)

Trig Gledhill

http://www.chelseaspelaeo.org/publications.htm

Download Issue 52 for the route description and issue 53 for the updated survey of Busmans to Cnwc (it's now signposted in the cave now anyway! [emoji23])

I used the description and survey and found it all easy enough.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PeteHall

If none of you have been before, why not go in, have an explore and come back out the same way. Next trip, go a bit further.
You'll soon find things fitting into place after you've been a few times  (y)

It's also a much more satisfying way to appreciate a cave than trying to see too much on the first trip.

Minion

There?s some nice big reflective signs in Busmans Holiday to show you the at out. Be sure to check out Urchin Oxbow, it?s just before the kitchen. It?s stunning!

Oscar D

PeteHall said:
If none of you have been before, why not go in, have an explore and come back out the same way. Next trip, go a bit further.
You'll soon find things fitting into place after you've been a few times  (y)

It's also a much more satisfying way to appreciate a cave than trying to see too much on the first trip.

This is usally my favourite way to explore caves and I have been considering it, however I'm not that local to South Wales and so would like to see as much as i can whilst I'm there and I want to make the trip worthwhile judging by the notoriety of the entrance series.

Oscar D

Oh and whist I'm here. How difficult are the climbs? And do they have in situ ladders or lifelines or is it advisable to bring your own ropes?

Trig Gledhill

ObviousSpectre said:
Oh and whist I'm here. How difficult are the climbs? And do they have in situ ladders or lifelines or is it advisable to bring your own ropes?
They have in situ ladders and ropes

Trig Gledhill

Trig Gledhill said:
ObviousSpectre said:

And fairly easy

Oscar D

Speleotron said:
When I read the thread title I thought they'd connected Daren to Aggy!

Haha :LOL: Sorry for getting your hopes up. Although I do hope that connection has been or will be made sometime. I would love to do a through trip of such epic proportion.

Oscar D

Trig Gledhill said:
Trig Gledhill said:
ObviousSpectre said:

And fairly easy

Thanks  ;)

Huge

One of the ladders and lifelines in Antler Passage.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1534281747436.jpg
    FB_IMG_1534281747436.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 189

Oscar D

Thanks for the info and well wishes guys. I might be tempted to write a report on it when I get back, providing I don't get lost  ;)

GRJ

Oct (no 10) from vol 52 is the one you want for the route description.

As already mentioned, no gear is needed (other than belt and krab for lifelining), all the rope climbs now have fixed aids of the chain link ladder type. Usual caution advised with these - I?ve had a rung fail on me after the securing nut worked loose. Having said that, much, much better than the somewhat exposed rope climbs that the ladders replace!

I?m working otherwise would offer to show you the way.

Enjoy!

Stuart France

The chain ladders should all now be fine.  Any ongoing ladder issues, please contact me via the Cambrian Caving Council website.  Obviously, as with any ladders, you should use a lifeline, and they are provided, no matter now chunky the ladder looks.  There are also a couple of free climbs up/down boulder piles which have handlines to steady the knees or nerves.

We ran out of stainless nylock M12 nuts for the bottom couple of rungs when fitting the final ladder (the one nearest the Antlers) so we fitted standard nuts instead as we didn't want to buy another bag of 100.  I understand that all necessary rungs are in place and all the nuts are now of the locking type.

It's still quite a demanding trip as there is a lot of up/down over fallen boulders and some crawls to get to the pretty stuff.  Not to be underestimated.  Anyone experienced/fit and wanting a trip but unsure of the way should contact CSS as its members are regularly in the cave.

Stuart France