UK Caving forum page from within our website?

P

PCW

Hi Bubba

I'm webmaster at SWCC (www.swcc.org.uk) - I have been trialling if its possible to open say your "wales" board within our own php site.  The reasoning here is that we plan to open and moderate a SWCC board, but would in general prefer our members to access it through our site - though it will be open to all others too.

I have tried using the "iframe" command, which seems to work up to a point, but something goes awry with either cookies or the seesion id or both, because even if I navigate away and straight back I often find I am logged out.  (Sometimes "back" works and somtimes not).

I am not super-hot on these things so maybe I am missing an important factor.

In any case is it ok with UK Caving for us to use your page in this way?

If you want I can mail you with the html that I am using, or a link to our test page.

Cheers

Peter CW

bubba

Administrator
There's a recent topic on the SMF forums that asks this question and the answer is that SMF won't run properly inside an Iframe, and certainly not across different servers. See here.

To be honest it's not really how I'd want the forum to be used anyway as it would only give them a view of a small part of the forums here and wouldn't really encourage them to explore the rest of the forums. I think this is academic anyway as I don't think it's possible to implement it in this way.

It sounds to me like you may be better off setting up your own forum which would give you the control you require.

The only other thing I can suggest is syndicating content from here via the rss feed system. Of course this would only be a one way thing so not ideal.

Cheers :)

P

PCW

Hi Bubba

Thanks for this, and the link - yes I understand now about how the cookies are read or not. 

In fact the way I was trying it with the full wales board within our page, all your nav bars and links are all accessible in exactly the same way as if from a regular link, so the rest of the forums would not be hidden at all.  We will want our club board to be open to all and vv, as UK Caving is so popular.

Still if cookies aren't working in iframes I will just make it a link.

Thanks

Peter