Chat ??

eastwater

:clap: Hi There this might be a silly question but how does chat work . all I get is a blue screen and I cannot type anything ? is chat like  ICQ ? can you explain how it works

Thanks Mad Fi

bubba

Administrator
Hmm it does appear to have stopped working.

Shall I bother fixing it? Does anyone still want to use it?

Elaine

Well I would from time to time if there was anyone willing to chat to me! Lots of people have attempted to get into the chat room recently with no success.

graham

I look at who is there, once in a while & would probably have chatted sometimes, had anyone been in. Now I know why.

Peter Burgess

If you fix Chat, it will take a strong will to stay away from it to get on with stuff I should be doing. It is addictive and it is easy to waste a whole evening away!  :cautious: The up side is you can be much more yourself there without concerning yourself about some nitpicker starting a pointless argument on semantics, correctness, or some other load of cobblers. It suited Mendip cavers down to the ground.  :LOL: Trips were organised, and leaders arranged, invites to digging sessions etc just like you would sitting at the bar.

Les W

I don't want chat reinstated, it wasted hours and hours of my life.

Oh, OK then if you insist.  (y)

Peter Burgess

I think it was in Chat that a select few got to learn that Hidden Earth was going to be in the Leeds area before it became official ?  :confused:

I thought Chat was no longer used because people got bored with it, and not because it got broken. Seems like it's taken many months for anyone to actually notice it was bust.

We got quite a few trips out of chat, got to meet people I normally wouldn't have too. It was fun, informal and often informative too, and instead of clogging up the forum with drivel and idel banter, we brought it to the chat room in large amounts. Great times

bubba

Administrator
Well the "quick upgrade" went rather badly ;)

Also my server has been under attack from somewhere and I'm trying to find the source. I may have to take the place down again at short notice.

bubba

Administrator
Ok, chat is back using a different chat system.

Please try it out - it seems a little slow to me, but that may improve as pages get cached.

Peter Burgess

I've just had a peek and I couldn't get in. Entered my name and password and it just refreshed the login page again. Guess someone is telling me something.

bubba

Administrator
You might have to try more than once - i recently cleaned out the sessions table which may affect things.

bubba

Administrator
The whole server's getting pretty clunky tbh - this place and ukbouldering are getting too popular and overloading the poor thing.