What does it mean?

graham

It's an html glitch.

It usually means someone's posted a character that isn't recognised by the character set used by your browser.

paul

ronaldjprice said:
Hi All
Anyone care to enlighten me as to what it means when I see (&nbsp) in various posts?
Thanks
Ron

HTML code for Non-breaking Space - i.e. a space character without the equivalent of a line break causing the line to contine on the line below.

Exciting, eh? :)

El Agreb

Why do I see?

Spéléo instead of Sp?l?o (assuming this is displayed as I see it before posting)?
I get A-tilde and a copyright symbol instead of the e-acute

As far as I know my laptop has no problem displaying an e with the accent correctly on every site I have used other than on this forum.

Is there a fix I can make my end?

El Agreb

this is just in the club name under the picture (Graham), my own post has shown me I can see it correctly in the main text. I had the same problem when I attemted to put the name Sp?l?o Club Comminges in that position

bubba

Administrator
El Agreb said:
Why do I see?

Spéléo instead of Sp?l?o (assuming this is displayed as I see it before posting)?
I get A-tilde and a copyright symbol instead of the e-acute

As far as I know my laptop has no problem displaying an e with the accent correctly on every site I have used other than on this forum.

Is there a fix I can make my end?

Hmmm this is a problem with the character set encoding that the forum uses. It's most likely an artifact from a past upgrade. Can you point me to the place where it's happening?

El Agreb

I see this under the picture of a snail with the wording "I has a stick" where Graham writes UBSS, Spéléo-Club de Périgueux, GSG, SUI on his posts

graham

SamT said:
Im the same as El Agreb
Indeed, you are both Eldon members. ;)

But according to the board I belong to a completely unreadable club in France (where currently it is 3 degrees and drizzly, or much nicer than over there from what I see on the Beeb).

Edit: it probably is down to a past upgrade as I am sure it read perfectly well when I first put it on there.

El Agreb

Indeed we are.
However I do not live "over there" but happen to live a bit further south than you (that is if you abide near Périgueux, that is me making the assumptions now)  and it is snowing down at mine, powder is superb and the caves warm and dry.

graham

Only just got back here, but judging by the state of the Vezere the local caves will be cold and damp.  :(

El Agreb

That is probably a reasonable assumption. The Penne Blanque and the Bourusse though are bone dry for sure, roll on Wednesday when I get back from Libya, Where at the moment here in the desert it is very dry, quite hot and sunny.