Notts Pot - the Twilight Zone

langcliffe

Has anybody ever made sense of the CNCC rigging guide for the top section of the Twilight Zone in Notts Pot?

The route was originally developed by Dave Elliot and Dick Lawson in the early 1980s. Regrettably,  I never did the red bolt route, but the description indicates that there was a deviation 3 metres below the top Y-hang (probably just to keep the rope out of the rift), and 12 metres below that a fixed line aided a pendulum across to where the current Y-hang is at the end of the traverse at the Double Buckets Ledge level. From there, the route follows the current Twilight Zone route.

The CNCC rigging guide implies that from the top Y-hang one descends to a deviation which drops you directly onto the Y-hang on the Double Buckets Ledge. I have had a look a number of times, and cannot work out how a deviation could drop you to that rebelay, as there is a roof above it. Nor is there anywhere I can identify where a deviation could be fixed. The only option is to drop onto the Double Buckets Ledge and rig the standard traverse to the rebelay.

Any comments, anybody?

HeathJ

Whilst there a few weeks ago I spotted a horizontal, red, fixed line a bit below the Y-hang, and thought it may be possible to rig a deviation from that to position the rope in such a way as to make the pendulum to the Y-hang at the ledge less demanding? Although having never done the route before I opted to just rig the traverse on ledge for simplicity.

The topo certainly isn't entirely reliable, the lower sections of the route differ somewhat in reality

langcliffe

HeathJ said:
Whilst there a few weeks ago I spotted a horizontal, red, fixed line a bit below the Y-hang, and thought it may be possible to rig a deviation from that to position the rope in such a way as to make the pendulum to the Y-hang at the ledge less demanding?

Thanks for the reply. I suspect that was the deviation mentioned above that keeps the rope out of the narrow bit at the top. It deflects the rope less than a metre.

langcliffe

HeathJ said:
Whilst there a few weeks ago I spotted a horizontal, red, fixed line a bit below the Y-hang,

I have been thinking about this, and I suspect that you were on the original descent down to the Double Buckets ledge (the way the water would go if there was any) rather than in the Twilight Zone. The rope you saw was probably the one that leads into the rather fine BUSS Route.