Hut closure due to coronavirus

Given the deteriorating situation, Craven Pothole Club have decided to close our cottages in Horton to overnight stays.
We have also suspended our meets list as this is not compatible with social distancing.
We will review this in May, but to be honest I think it will go on for much longer.

So far we in Yorkshire have not seen major problems, but these will come. Anything which facilitates transmission of this virus is a bad thing, and we must take on board the evidence showing higher than previously expected complication rates, particularly in older people. This is about anticipating pressure on the NHS due to a rise in cases needing critical care.

(also, note the TSG post, and some other clubs are in discussion about similar actions).

Bob Mehew

The Grampian Speleological Group committee has announced that Taigh nam Famh, the club hut, will be closed to everyone effective immediately. They state that all bookings, both member and external, will be cancelled.

Pitlamp

This article has just been published, which I think has a lot of wisdom and useful advice generally about our outdoor pastimes, particularly the use of club premises:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2020/03/covid_19_-_what_does_it_mean_for_the_outdoors-72237

maxb727

Only just seen this from CSS and I think it?s great that clubs are supporting the efforts to keep people healthy.

Is it safe to assume all clubs are now shut? I?ve not heard from one of mine yet....

f6dd2b67c8d3b681ff6e9a19c5432acd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairgott

I think most are now shut to members and Guests with one or two exceptions which are still open to members.

Several of our members questioned the decision and wished the club to be more open for it's members. Its an admirable thought, but I think as a club we will revisit the question in two weeks time.

The specifics of our hut are more acute than perhaps others in caving areas, with 6 (or more) drinking establishments and "the great outdoors" on the doorstep of the town. The hut is unfortunately surrounded by total weapons gobbing off about how their smartphone (an android) is better that an iPhone, not interested love!

There is no personal space on that pavement opposite the club, never mind the 2m social distancing gap. Forgive me for being a Nancy, but right now I'd rather get changed in front of the Oxlow dog than bother going into Castleton.

estelle

The BEC committee have closed the Belfry and also St Cuthbert's Swallet to all, after the government announcements on Friday. An email was sent to our members advising of this on Saturday.

tamarmole

estelle said:
The BEC committee have closed the Belfry and also St Cuthbert's Swallet to all, after the government announcements on Friday. An email was sent to our members advising of this on Saturday.

Some would argue that the Belfry should have been closed down years ago on health grounds  ;)