Hunting for old members of Bangor uni caving club

Mealy

We are hoping we might be able to track down some old members of the club. Mainly because of one quite pressing question.
We?ve got the old logo and have been busy colouring it and bringing it into the 21st century.
But none of us knows what is in Stig?s right hand?
Here is a list of suggestions from our members:
? A caving ?club?
? A gourd (you may need to look at images of gourd upside down to see this)
? A whisk to froth beer
? A rolled-up newspaper
? A massive carrot
? A badly shaped trumpet
? A hat
? An old torch
? A short didgeridoo (shortened for caving convenience)
? A rounders bat
? A stemple Stig freshly pulled out
? A sock (I think unlikely given the size of his feet)

Finally, why is Stig called Stig?

Attachments

• Stig BSCC.png
    Stig BSCC.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 172

mikem

Looks like (a club): https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Caveman

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stig_of_the_Dump

Cantclimbtom

"Stig" has to be Stig of the dump (caveman), you have to be in 40s or older to remember that though
Edit: reading mikem link, didn't realise there was a more recent remake, thought only the Thames TV 1981 series was made
Edit2: probably not beer in left hand if Bangor, more likely purple nasty, you disgusting deviants!!! ;)

wellyjen

Seeing the topic title my initial concern was that you were hunting these old members for either sport, or sustenance.  :eek:

AR

It'll be a Captain Caveman-style club  in the right hand, though in my uni days we'd probably have said it was a Camberwell Carrot...

thehungrytroglobite

oh yessssss stig of the dump was one of my favourite books as a young'un! though that was a long time ago now of course. extra fitting not only because of the cave 'club' in his hand, but also because everyone knows that 'the dump' is the best caving hut in yorkshire.

I challenge you to a round of 'odds on' whereby we both get stig tattooed on our butt cheek if the numbers are the same...

Mealy

Cantclimbtom said:
"Stig" has to be Stig of the dump (caveman), you have to be in 40s or older to remember that though
Edit: reading mikem link, didn't realise there was a more recent remake, thought only the Thames TV 1981 series was made
Edit2: probably not beer in left hand if Bangor, more likely purple nasty, you disgusting deviants!!! ;)

He does indeed look like this dump guy. I have spent the last 2 years saying the old logo was a potato. I was wrong.
Haha! back at it with the purple nasty then!  :beer:

wellyjen said:
Seeing the topic title my initial concern was that you were hunting these old members for either sport, or sustenance.  :eek:

Perhaps hunting was a too strong a word... Maybe I should have said seeking  ;) this could be where we've been going wrong in attempts to find old members

Mealy

thehungrytroglobite said:
oh yessssss stig of the dump was one of my favourite books as a young'un! though that was a long time ago now of course. extra fitting not only because of the cave 'club' in his hand, but also because everyone knows that 'the dump' is the best caving hut in yorkshire.

I challenge you to a round of 'odds on' whereby we both get stig tattooed on our butt cheek if the numbers are the same...

You've aged since I saw you last!

Odds on accepted. 7.

ChrisJC

Some (at least two!) of us ex members still have our tops with Stig on them.

Chris.

Attachments

• Stig.jpg
    Stig.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 114

ChrisJC

Graham Tattersall drew him, partly inspired by a previous character, who might have been called Oggy.
Also mainly inspired by The Slag Brothers.
https://tenor.com/view/the-slag-brothers-rock-and-gravel-hanna-barbera-caveman-gif-14998308
Some quotes from Graham:
"If I recall correctly, I bastardised a previous drawing that was in all the caving club papers. Captain Caveman was certainly an influence"
(see picture below of old t-shirt)
"Yep, that was it. I added the beer but can?t claim credit for the club.
I had a blue version of that T shirt when I first joined. Might have even had a yellow one too?"
"Oh, and I have no idea who called him Stig. I thought that was Andy, or maybe Snowy? Who knows?"
Andy's reminiscences on the name:
"I do not remember calling him Stig, but it was a very long time agon now and my memory was not great to begin with..."
Snowy:
"I also heard him referred to as Oggy. This was the back of the previous sweater which I retired to the bin last year after 30 years of service. Looks like the beer was Graham's addition?"

HTH,

Chris.

Attachments

• Oggy.jpg
    Oggy.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 114

Mealy

Old tops look cool Chris!
We've played around with Stig a bit and this is what they now look like...

Attachments

• export202201121850551420.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 230