#SaveTheCave - A message from Tara

Undergroundtara

Hi guys,

My name is Tara. I've been caving for eight years and am a member of several clubs as well as Conservation Officer for DCUC. I've been working on the #SaveTheCave petition after hearing about it from lots of contacts and sources.

The traction we've had so far is amazing! I'm working on fairly limited information so I'm looking for as much help / contacts as possible. However all my sources have said the same thing: the cave is going to be backfilled or blocked up as it's in the way of the development.

From the caving community I need two things:

Please sign the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/historic-england-natural-england-savethecave-protect-the-incredible-archaeology-in-sherford-cave

If you have any useful information please get in touch with me via Twitter/ FB or whatever (search Tara Beacroft). All names will be kept confidential.

Attachments

• received_3044776709104572.jpeg
    received_3044776709104572.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 157
  • received_3185164795035729.jpeg
    received_3185164795035729.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 150
  • received_725823048390453.jpeg
    received_725823048390453.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 116

Cantclimbtom

Would it help if you contacted a reporter from the Plymouth Herald asking them why one of the most significant finds of archeology for many years is unreported in the Herald and the editorial opinion of the plans to concrete/backfill it?
Maybe ask the Bat Conservation Trust their thoughts too?

Cantclimbtom

Out of sheer nosiness... I know the development is described as 5,500 homes, but is there any estimate of how many this might actually affect, I mean if it was 40 homes (picking random number for giggles) that'd be <1% of the development.

CJ

Cantclimbtom said:
I mean if it was 40 homes (picking random number for giggles) that'd be <1% of the development.

I think you need to be using ? as the unit of measurement instead of "homes"

mrodoc

aricooperdavis said:
I don't think bats are going to be present as it was only recently uncovered by the development work.

They will move in - if they can!