wharf to hillocks through trip

benshannon

Hey guys,
I'm doing a through trip from wharf to hillocks soon and wondered if there is a survey anywhere i can have a look and geek out. doesnt appear to be in my caves of the peak district book (1991 edition)
Any interesting things to definitely see down there? the coffin level pics look cool

Cheers

Pete K

Caving Supplies should be able to sell you a survey of the system, they do exist.

2xw

Cooper and Westlake 1970
Abridged bit of whalf shaft in CPCC rigging guide

alastairgott

SSSI audit here will give you a reasonable survey. https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/lathkill-dale-monyash/knotlow-cavern-engine-shaft

Other than that, have a good search through the Cave registry at other "caves" in the Lathkill area which sound similar to your trip for Rigging guides. knotlow and Hillocks varios entrances are on there! https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/lathkill-dale-monyash

wellyjen

There is also a survey in the 2010 Caves of the Peak District (page 235) The Cooper-Westlake 1970 survey is on the SSSI audit sheet that Alastair links to. The Wharf climbing shaft isn't on it as it was opened around 20 years ago, but aside from that it is pretty complete.

Jen

Big Jim

From memory.... isn't there a written description and a few plans in Iain Barkers 'Classic Caves of the Peak District' ? Im sure someone with a copy to hand could confirm (maybe Mr Barker himself....)

mch

Big Jim said:
From memory.... isn't there a written description and a few plans in Iain Barkers 'Classic Caves of the Peak District' ? Im sure someone with a copy to hand could confirm (maybe Mr Barker himself....)
There is indeed - pages 79 to 82.

pwhole

I'm still intrigued about the large natural passage we got into last year in Hillocks that descended well below floor-level to a short coffin level into a chamber with a large pool in it. No idea if it is a pool or a sump, but it didn't look like it went far. It may be on the Survex model as there is something going downwards roughly in the right place, but I'm sure we went further than the survey suggests. It's reached by walking through the 'bottle' passage from the engine shaft, and then when you reach the next large chamber, instead of following the passages left or right, climb straight up the mud/rubble slope immediately in front of you - at top left is the entrance to this natural passage, which slopes downwards again, but there is other natural around there. Just wondering if anyone's pushed this area in recent times?