Gouffre Berger - Open Passage

Mark Wright

During the recent Buttered Badgers / York University expedition to the Berger, Mark Richardson and myself started a bolt climb above Gontard's pitch in the entrance series. A large aven above the pitch was first noticed (by me anyway) a couple of years ago during one of the International clean-up trips and after contacting local cavers it was confirmed that it had never been looked at.

With Mark R. providing a very cold belay I climbed vertically approx. 15m with approx. a further 15m remaining to what looks like a sizeable passage entering in the roof of the aven.

I understand SUSS and the BEC are heading out there later this week and wondered if anyone would like to take over the project. I was thinking of going back out there myself to complete the climb but unfortunately work commitments now prevent this.

I can lend anyone interested with a comprehensive bolting kit to complete the climb.

PM me if you are interested otherwise I will pass it on to members of the International trip in August.

Mark

lbenn

Hi Mark, I'm one of the BEC organising the trip - Dave C is going to send you a message regarding whether we could explore this. Thanks for the heads up!

Mark Wright

It's all sorted and Dave is picking up the bolting gear from me later this evening.

Good luck with it and don't forget to survey what you find.

Mark