TerrainTool Author

wiltonp

Does anyone know the contract details of the author of terrain tool? It is written (I assume) and available from the UBSS website.

I'm having trouble making it work as I get a java error saying a file does not exist, when I can see it has created it and never populates it with data.

I'm trying to use it to create a surface mesh above a few of my surveys.

Thanks in advance

wiltonp

Thanks John. I should have updated the thread.

I have spoken to Mike who has said that the tool's auto download function has failed due to the way NASA have altered their website. He is hoping to be able to update the tool in the future but I  the mean time has said how the download can be done and applied manually. The UBSS terrain tool not has the process for it too.

Tommy

Hi wiltonp,

Is there any chance of the instructions being written up (or copy-pasted) on to the forum under a sensible title, just so anyone else interested can have a look.

I'm hoping to be looking at this in a few months in preparation for our club summer exped.

Cheers :)

wiltonp

I would suggest that people look at the UBSS Terrain Tool Page at http://www.ubss.org.uk/terraintool/terraintool.php as this will contain the up to date information.
The current work around is, and I quote
Terraintool creates a directory called .terraintool ? which on Windows will be at C:\users\username\.terraintool (So on my PC it?s at C:\users\Mike\.terraintool). If you look here you will see a readme.txt, a properties file and zip file(s) that are supposed to be around 1,000KB in size. You will probably have them only 1KB because TerrainTool is only loading a small part of the file. The tiles are named by lat/long , something like N35E051.hgt.zip.
Use your web browser to go to https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Eurasia/ and you will get a directory listing of all of the tiles in Europe and Asia. Find the tile that TerrainTool failed to download and use your web browser to download the tiles you need then move them to the .terraintool directory.
Run TerrainTool again and it should work OK.

Remember that this will change as soon at the tool is updated. The UBSS website is likely to be kept up-to-date with the latest work around.