cave entrance GPS data and any survex data between Horton and Malham

nobrotson

Does anyone know if there is a data archive of cave entrances for caves between Horton in Ribblesdale and Malham (excluding Fountains Fell which is in the cave registry database). I also would like to know if survey data for caves such as Penyghent Pot, Little Hull Pot, Pikedaw Mine Caverns and Malham Cove Rising have been digitised, and if so where this data could be accessed.

Pitlamp

I can confirm (to save you searching) that, although Malham Cove Rising has been carefully surveyed, these data aren't digitised. Pikadaw Calamine Caverns are well surveyed - again, I doubt they've been digitised; the Yorkshire Subterranean Society is the best contact here. I'd have thought that your own ULSA library might have data from Penyghent Pot (and perhaps also Little Hull Pot). If not, it might be worth getting in touch with someone like Psychocrawler on this forum to ask about these data.

I'm interested to know why you asked this question; have you got a compilation project on the go? Can you tell us a bit about it? Thanks.

nobrotson

I think you are right, have just looked in ULSA Explorations 2 and there is an OS map with Penyghent, LHP and Hunt Pot overlain on it so I presume some digital form of the survey data must exist. I will email AT and Monico to ask if they know more.

I am interested in further prospecting across this area as it seems to me that the area has been unduly neglected by non-diving dales cavers, and with more effort could yield some amazing cave systems. ULSA, as you may know, has a project to survey the Fountains Fell caves to grade 5 standard. This will be a good platform for finding more caves in this area, but surveying gets boring after a while and new entrances would be excellent. Don't worry: I don't plan on doing any digging here any time soon, certainly not without speaking to the landowners and Andrew Hinde. But it seems to me that it is something worth attempting to kickstart a bit. 

I also want to branch out with my GIS skills and this area would be an interesting one to begin with.

nobrotson

I've discovered that there is no digital format of the Penyghent Pot survey, so am in the process of trying to find the original survey notes (if they still exist).

andywebman

i was involved in surveying Little Hull Pot with BUSS back in 1970's. Deej Lowe Cave Science ed was also involved. He might know what happened to survey notes