Appeal for help - anyone going to the Berger?

David Rose

I am working a new book about caving. To be entitled The World beneath the World: Caves and their Explorers, it is to be published by Penguin/Michael Joseph. The plan is to combine some history, personal experience and a few gripping yarns in order to explain why caving is such a fantastic activity. I hope that both cavers and non-cavers will find it interesting. Above all, it will try to capture what caving is really about.

I want to include a chapter about the French "golden age" that runs roughly from the exploration of the Dent des Crolles to the exploration of the Gouffre Berger. For this, I would really like to get on a trip down the Berger, if possible next year. I haven't been down the cave before. So this is an appeal for help: for a team out there to do me a huge favour and invite me to join it for a week or ten days. I'm an ageing fart but still reasonably fit, and still going down fairly hard caves.

If there is a club that might consider this, please send me a personal message. Your reward would be to be immortalised in print.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Mark Wright and the Badgers are going and sounds like a fun trip.  I expect they'll be in touch.

Leclused

I think there will be again clean-up trips during august 2018. Some members of my grotto joined this event this summer and it was great fun. You can join on a individual base and will then be added to a group. The only thing you have to do is to descend, put some trash in your tackle bag and ascend 😄

Leclused

Leclused said:
I think there will be again clean-up trips during august 2018. Some members of my grotto joined this event this summer and it was great fun. You can join on a individual base and will then be added to a group. The only thing you have to do is to descend, put some trash in your tackle bag and ascend 😄

Hereby the link towards the FB page of Berger 2017

https://www.facebook.com/groups/816551028409538/

Subpopulus Hibernia

I can +1 the Berger clean-up meet. A small group of cavers from Ireland went out there this year and had a fine ol' time. Very useful for smaller groups that don't have the resources to put together a full-scale expedition. Just pay in ?20 to the organisers and then turn up and cave.