Sad News - Nigel Ball

yrammy

I have been asked to notify people that Nigel Ball passed away peacefully yesterday evening. He was suffering from motor neurone disease. I'm sure all his friends will be thinking of him and of Gill his partner. 

R.I.P my friend

Mary Wilde

damian

Nigel was a fine man who gave huge amounts to caving, particularly training. Unfailingly calm, mild mannered and measured, Nigel gave tirelessly to BCA over many years, particularly during the his time as Training Officer.

Thank you for all you did, Nigel, and Rest in Peace. Thoughts go out to Gill and family at this difficult time.

nearlywhite

Very sad to hear the news, got to echo what Damian said. A generous man who will be sorely missed in British Caving.

Cookie

Sad news indeed. Nigel was such a kind and generous man.

My thoughts are with Gill, friends and family.

Rest in peace Nigel

pwhole

One of the finest - a lovely guy, super-knowledgeable and a great helper to others. I'm going to miss him a lot, especially in Speedwell.

Rest in peace mate, and all the best to Gill and family.

Attachments

• _IGP9614.jpg
    _IGP9614.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 294

Tseralo

Sadly I never got to meet Nigel but have read much about his many projects, he is often talked about fondly at the chapel.

I know he will be sadly missed by many.

blackshiver

Very sad news - I first carried bottles for Nigel in the early 80's and he was one of those great guy's to talk too over breakfast at Bernies.
A true diplomat of the caving world - my thoughts go out to Gill.

Goydenman

we went caving together, shared a house in London, learnt to cave dive together....but best of all laughed together. Sad news

I wouldn't be where I am today in my profession without Nigel. He was always friendly and willing to give his time to me and so many others. such a great loss. RIP Nigel!

Spires

Sad news indeed. The last time I met Nigel was in Speedwell Cavern, a few years ago. We met Nigel (+1) in the system, and I seem to remember inviting them to join us on our trip, which they did. After the trip, time for a brew at the Grasshopper (Woodbine) Cafe in Hope. A really nice/knowledgeable guy, who will be sadly missed. My thoughts are with Gill, friends and family.   

tundrakurmitsa

Sad to hear these news. Nigel was my guide when I did my very first trip in a big cave that happened to be OFD. He also taught me the first steps of cave photography. Later we did a trip in Alum Pot with him, and I have never seen as good rigging as Nigel did - it was just perfect. He also recommended us the rope he was using, and now we can proudly say that according to that recommendation we purchased many metres of that same rope for the Finnish Caving Society. Good memories last long :). Rest in peace, Nigel. And our condolences to his family. - Taina and Dare, the Finnish Caving Society, SWCC and YSS

finster

Many great memories caving together, a great friend and mentor and I will miss you lots Nigel. Rest In Peace my love and support is with Gill.

bograt

Very sad news, memories of caving with Nigel go back about 40 years!, both with BACI and TSG, see you on the other side Nige. Condolences to those loved ones left behind.

Pitlamp

We've lost a fully committed caver and an absolutely genuine bloke, at far too young an age.
Nigel did far more for caving than many people realise. He's no longer suffering but his many friends have found this news difficult. I can only offer my sincere condolences to his family.

Fulk

I can only echo your sentiments, Pitlamp; I've many happy memories of caving (and, indeed, just hanging out) with him.

richardg

I've been thinking, how is it that one can lose so many friends in a short time, then after some thought I arrived at the answer.
In caving, if we are active for some time and we visit areas all over Britain and often other countries too, then we get to know and share memorable adventures with a considerable number of people.
Some become lifelong friends.
Nigel and I had known each other for many decades, I think the adventure that I have recalled the most..
Was when Nigel and I, on reading the old mining records of Odin Mine near Castleton in the Peak District, found mention of natural caverns found by the early miners but then lost over time.
A good distance away in the valley below was the overgrown entrance to the miners drainage level,this was documented as containing "bad air", Nigel and I though if we took our diving bottles and breathed from demand valves , we might pass through the bad air section and get further than anyone else in recent times and hopefully re explore and map the lost caverns.
As it was, we progressed well, passing very carefully through partially collapsed sections.
Then one of us passed out, falling headlong into the cold stream, which fortunately bought about a reawakening and an about turn and an eventual return to the entrance and exit.
Over the coming days we realized our folly, that is that Diving equipment and above water breathing apparatus react completely differently in their separate environments.
I tell this story from the days of our youth, to then go on to illustrate the calibre of the man that Nigel had gained worldwide reputation for being...........
As I think has already been mentioned Nigel was an assessor for both the Cave and Mines leadership and instructors qualifications as well as voluntarily giving his time to as technical adviser to our national representative organisations.
I hadn't heard from Nigel for a couple of years, when he phoned me, I guess because from all those years ago when Chris Fox, Nigel and I (and others) had known each other in those embryonic years of our caving explorations,  we could each therefor observe the measure of our advancement through the years, Nigel was so pleased and proud to share with me his latest news...
There had been a cave rescue over the other side of the world (Borneo?) which had highlighted the need for further developing a future response and Nigel had been asked to fly over, all expenses paid to share his expert knowledge and instruction........ 
Yes Nigel was quite a guy, unique and especially dear to those who knew him.

Richard.