Info from Defra on Public Rights of way

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Public Rights of Way under the Highways Act 1980 and use of Access Land under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000: Covid-19

The government?s priority is to save lives and the best way to protect yourself and others from illness is to stay at home.
However, exercise is still important for people?s physical and mental wellbeing, so the government has said people can leave their homes for exercise once a day.
NFU and CLA have told us that some landowners are still concerned about increased use of public rights of way on their property increasing the risk to livestock, such as instances of gates being left open and dogs not being controlled.

To help address this we will publish a supplementary video on social media in advance of this weekend, reminding people to follow the Countryside Code. This will be published on Twitter @DefraGovUK and Defra?s Facebook page.  We encourage you to share this with your members and networks.

Finally, further concerns have been raised by stakeholders that the use of public rights of way that run through gardens, farmyards and schools is increasing the risk of exposure to the coronavirus to residents and farm workers.

The risk of the coronavirus being passed on to others from people using public rights of way and other paths and trails is considered to be very low as long as people follow the Government?s instructions to maintain social distancing.

Landowners do not have the legal right to block or obstruct public rights of way or access land. However, in very limited circumstances where large numbers of people are using such routes, landowners may consider the following measures:
? tying gates open if it is safe to do so, so that walkers do not need to touch the gate.

? temporarily displaying polite notices that encourage users to respect local residents and workers by following social distancing guidelines and consider using alternative routes that do not pass through gardens, farmyards or schools.

? Note: this is a polite request only, and there is no power under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW) or the Highways Act 1980 for landowners to close or obstruct a public right of way or use of access land

? offering an alternative route around gardens and farmyards only where it is safe to do so (you must gain permission from relevant landowners and make sure the route is safe for users and livestock) provided that the original right of way is maintained.

Key points to Note under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and the Highways Act 1980
? Under Section 137 the Highways Act 1980 and section 14 of CROW it is an offence to obstruct the free passage along a public right of way or Access Land.
? It is an offence under Section 57 of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949 to display a notice that contains ?any false or misleading statement likely to deter the public from using? a right of way.
? It is also an offence under section 14 of CROW to display a sign which deters the public from exercising their right to use that access land
? It is an offence under Section 132 of the Highways Act 1980 to display on the surface of a public right of way or on any tree or structure within the public right of way any unauthorised sign or mark.
? Land owners may be liable for personal injury under section 2 of the Occupiers' Liability Act 1957 and Section 1 of the Occupiers' Liability Act 1984 if they are reckless or intend to create a risk ? for example by offering a dangerous alternative.
This means that
? If a land owner offers an alternative route, they must ensure that it is safe to use and that the existing right of way or use of access land is maintained so that users with differing abilities have a choice.
? A notice must not imply that there is any doubt about the use of the existing right of way or use of access land.

These temporary measures must be lifted as soon as social distancing measures are relaxed.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I should add that this is advice to stakeholders and not the public.  It is FYI if you are interested in such things.

This advice is aimed at England (hence I have posted it in the Dales section where I am access officer).  Other nations may have different legal requirements such as Wales who have already banned access to some open spaces.

Thanks for sending this to me.

Alex

A farm near me has said the closed the right of way due to the virus, so doing that is illegal then? It's not much of an issue as there is already an alternative nearby but they do not state that. I think they could be on shaky grounds at the very least.

gingerlycolors

Rights of way were closed during the foot+mouth epidemic of 2001, something I never wanted to see happen again.  COVID 19, unlike foot+mouth represents a real danger to human health and is currently trashing the whole world's economy (let alone the British rural economy in 2001) as well as being the greatest health crisis in a century. Even if a public right of way is not officially closed, you should avoid it if it goes past a farm or any other inhabited property as it is imperative that social distancing is maintained and more than ever we are relying on our farmers to put food on our tables during these troubled times.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The information is from government/Defra and seems perfectly clear to me. 

Yes Alex, it is illegal for individual landowners to close a public right of way during the pandemic (as set out above).

The advice clearly gives options if a farm or people close to a PROW are at proper risk.  If you keep within the government directive of staying local, taking one form of exercise outdoors per day and maintaining social distancing as directed, then there is no reason you cannot go out for a walk on a PROW in England. 

If I hear that this changes I will let you know.

Oceanrower

There is, of course, absolutely nothing about "once a day" in the new law passed for England.

Wales, for some reason, is different.

Joe Duxbury

Oceanrower said:
There is, of course, absolutely nothing about "once a day" in the new law passed for England.

Haven't you had the 'Coronavirus' leaflet from the UK Government? It says, quite clearly 'You should only leave the house for ... One form of exercise a day'
I sincerely hope that by 'the house' they mean 'your premises', otherwise they don't want us to even go out in the garden.

andrewmcleod

Joe Duxbury said:
Oceanrower said:

Haven't you had the 'Coronavirus' leaflet from the UK Government? It says, quite clearly 'You should only leave the house for ... One form of exercise a day'

Both of these statements are true.

It is unfortunate that government advice is not reflected in implemented law (in England).

There can be no legal consequence for exercising more than once outside for day in England, since it is not illegal.

Also in the actual legislation:
"(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.
[...]
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises."

so yes, the garden is included.

Oceanrower

Joe Duxbury said:
Oceanrower said:

I sincerely hope that by 'the house' they mean 'your premises', otherwise they don't want us to even go out in the garden.

I haven't but even if I had just because someone says something or puts out a leaflet it doesn't make it law. Our esteemed Prime Minister does have an unfortunate habit of making things up on the hoof (or lying, if you're being less forgiving).

The actual legislation (It's not a law, it's a Statutory Instrument) is below. The bit in question is 6:2b.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf