Mud Hall, Gaping Gill - The traditional way

langcliffe

This is an interesting photograph. It shows a caver descending into Mud Hall in Gaping Gill before the BPC created the traverse in 1981. It was necessary to descend to the col, and then hang a 50' ladder down the steep mud wall on the right, before slogging your way up 80' of loose choss to reach the other side. I remember the CPC used to hang a rope ladder down there on their winch meets in the late 1960s.

Because of this obstacle, the classic Bar -> Hensler's -> Mud Hall -> Main Chamber >- T-Junction -> Bar circular tour  was not really a feasible option for a day trip.

The last time I was down there (late February), the traverse was impassable.

Pitlamp

In case it's of interest, the 1969 CPC Journal has a rather fine photograph of Mud Hall taken from the far side, on the left hand side of the centrefold. The ladder can just be seen (well, I can see it in the journal if I put my bestest glasses on, at least!). Images of Mud Hall aren't that common; it's quite a big chamber.

Attachments

• P5160042.JPG
    P5160042.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 207

langcliffe

Pitlamp said:
In case it's of interest, the 1969 CPC Journal has a rather fine photograph of Mud Hall taken from the far side, on the left hand side of the centrefold. The ladder can just be seen (well, I can see it in the journal if I put my bestest glasses on, at least!).

It took a few minutes, but I eventually found it! That's a fine photograph.

Fulk

Here's a snap taken on the last day of 2017:

Attachments

• Mud Hall Traverse.jpg
    Mud Hall Traverse.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 168

Andyj23UK

langcliffe said:

blinks :(

another collapse ???

i assumes you is refering to a feb 2020 trip - yes ?

i visited mudhall as a guest of the CPC winch meat [ 2019 ] - and apart from my lack of faith in the pickets driven into mus banks - it was fine

so whats happened now please ?

langcliffe

Andyj23UK said:
langcliffe said:
so whats happened now please ?

I think it's the same place as the previous problem where there is a sandy gully perched above. There has been a collapse from above which has covered the traverse for a few metres - about three metres if I remember correctly. The material is obviously loose and at an angle, so I wasn't going to put my weight on it. Greybeard (as of this forum) was with me, and he had a closer look.

Greybeard

Yes the collapse was just about the same spot as last time, quite close to the eastern end where there was a sandy scrabble before.  It has covered the rope, very loose and you are still above a serious drop.
We thought the BPC winch meet this month would be an ideal time to sort it out but ..........