Wanted Inn~Sparrowpit-Closing down

adep

Was in the Wanted Inn last night to be told the sad news by the Landlord that it would be closing down next Wed and be put up for auction by Robinsons brewery.

The Wanted has always been a favourite pub for myself and many other cavers and climbers for a quick pint and warmup in front of there roaring fire, good wholesome food adds to a good apres caving experience.

Some kind of leaving doo going on there this Sunday, unfortunately I cant be there

Hopefully it will be bought and kept open as a pub, or maybe a club hut??

Rob

Sad news indeed. Such a long history of after trip drinking, and those pork pies too, it'll be soorly missed if it does close down.

I heard a rumour that it's closing due to complications around fire regulations, is that so? If so, the new owners may have the same problems...  :confused:

adep

I think the fire regulation inspection was the final nail, but the land lord reckons the work is not to bad...., another bit of our national heritage about to disappear

Gutted about this...Landlord let us know when we were in there a week or so back...
Always looked after us when we've been in and happy to serve drinks and food after late night trips...
Sad news indeed...
No-where else close by for after cave trips perryfoot way either :(

Big Jim

One of the few pubs that still did that weird thing of cutting up potatoes to make proper chips rather than getting them out of a bag. Never been a fan of Robos pubs, but the Wanted was an exception. They were also very good to a group of adults with learning disabilities that I used to work with so it will be sad for them too. :(

bograt

Don't hold your breath. This is the fifth Robo's pub to be sold recently in the area, none of the other four have opened again as pubs, all have been sold cheaply so a club with funds (if such a thing exists!) might stand a chance.

al

In the Lake District National Park, they have a policy of opposing planning permission to change the status of the village pub, as they see this as being a focal point of the community (which it surely is in Sparrowpit). Does the same thing not happen in the Peak District?

bograt

May be with Sparrowpit, the other four where just outside the park, we are still waiting for a planning application to go in for the last one that was sold (my local!)

TLH

:cry: Sad news. Bowl of chips and a pint before leaving for home after a long, cold trip was always wlecomed... Now we'll have to head somewhere else I suppose.. :(

Rob

al said:
In the Lake District National Park, they have a policy of opposing planning permission to change the status of the village pub, as they see this as being a focal point of the community (which it surely is in Sparrowpit). Does the same thing not happen in the Peak District?
Here's an example of difficulties associated with change of use within the PD:
http://pam.peakdistrict.gov.uk/?r=NP%2FDDD%2F0313%2F0205&q=&s=2088732

The Olde Bull's Head in Little Hucklow was closed in 2005, and still I think no one knows what's going to happen! Looks like it's going up for sale, again...

EwanCameron

Very sad

Been in there most Thursdays with team OCC - Dirty Thursday Boys when up that end of the peaks as well as lots when working in Edale area

Lovely people that fed and watered us well

JASON !!! Post info on there new pub they are moving to I am going to visit if ever that way 

david3392

What a shame. Myself, Zomjon and Owd Git were in there well after 'normal' closing time after a Giant's Round Trip. I couldn't be bothered to change so I stood at the bar with a fast growing pool of water emptying out of my furry. The guy behind the guy didn't seem to mind at all. A loss to the local caving community.

dunc

A loss indeed, not a Peak regular (few trips a year, perhaps) but on the occasions I ventured that way I've usually ended up at the Wanted for a drink afterwards.  :(

bograt

We have enough manpower and womanpower on here to mount a very powerful case against any planning application for it not being a pub any longer, we have to wait for the application to be put in then go for it!!, if any potential property developers are monitering this site, they "may" back off bidding, look at the link WRT the Bulls Head earlier in this thread.
Any Club with funds should look at the possibility, if you need contacts with local publess license holders and cooks, I know plenty that a I would recomend!!.

BTW, Today I've spotted a couple of Robbies Pubs with "For Let" signs outside, are they consolidating their assetts to pay for the education of their offsprings? or maybe they are taking advice from accountants????, nowt to do with good beer, good prices, and good landlords.

dunc

bograt said:
BTW, Today I've spotted a couple of Robbies Pubs with "For Let" signs outside, are they consolidating their assetts to pay for the education of their offsprings? or maybe they are taking advice from accountants????, nowt to do with good beer, good prices, and good landlords.
Tied pubs are all about accounts these days, sign of the times..

Apparently you can find your "perfect pub" on the Robbies website; how about one in a fine location at a road junction, on an A-road, close to popular caving/walking/biking/tourist areas..  Oh hang on, nooo, can't have that can we :spank:

300 years, blown away by what appears to be H&S/greed/insert other pathetic excuse here..    :chair:

bograt

I maintain that its education that is the problem; Grow up in the business, learn the business, run the business, send your lad to a good school, teach him economics & things, put him in charge of the business, doesn't work.
I met Mr. Peter, (previous controller of Robbo's) four times over the past 30 years, in various of his pubs in the area, managed to blag three half pints from him at those meetings, at least he did have some idea of where his money came from, its now passed on to the next generation; no brewery or pub experience, no idea of where their money comes from, basically, NO IDEA!!.
Sad, but these things happen, Robbo's is a family run business that has no responsibility to shareholders, debateable whether this is a good or bad thing.

nigel n

EwanCameron said:
Very sad

Been in there most Thursdays with team OCC - Dirty Thursday Boys when up that end of the peaks as well as lots when working in Edale area

Lovely people that fed and watered us well

JASON !!! Post info on there new pub they are moving to I am going to visit if ever that way

Steve and Sheila are moving to the Admiral Nelson, Bennington near Boston