Crystal - Dog - Bucket

dunc

Taking advantage of this respectable dry spell we're having we've just had a short but quacking through trip in this recently(ish) created classic.

All the ducks have airspace at present, not sure how wet it needs to be to sump the wet Crystal-Dog connection (although I'm sure I read somewhere that cobbles may have been moved to improve the situation?) and I'm sure the Bucket-ducks could become more entertaining (should that read 'sporting'?) with higher water levels.

Plenty of variety and interest along the way, although probably not so good if you're an aquaphobe  :)
As has been said in another thread on here; about 2 hours if you know the way (or use a survey) although route finding was never too much of an issue.

Wetsuit or neofleece recommended! Great trip  (y)

barrabus

I'm looking forward to doing it.

I've got plans to go to Bucket on Wednesday evening. I've explored Dog Hole and Crystal Cave, and been along to the end of South Passage. If I get through the ducks in Bucket I'm going out of Crystal. I hope the weather stays dry.

Which way did you go?

dunc

Crystal to Bucket. Although the weather has been dry we wanted to be sure the "sump" in Crystal was passable.. Given the choice I'd probably do the same way again, leaving Bucket to the end as it's fun!

Although maybe there's scope for a there and back trip to make it a longer outing.. :-\

barrabus

dunc said:
Although maybe there's scope for a there and back trip to make it a longer outing.. :-\

Not this Wednesday night...!

dunc said:
Although the weather has been dry we wanted to be sure the "sump" in Crystal was passable..

On my first trip into Dog I turned back because I was sure the connection to Crystal would be too wet because of the recent rain, but other members of the club carried on and made it through (although by all account it was rather wet).

Anyway, I've just seen the Countryfile forecast for the week and it's looking good.

I did it a few weeks back. This is the weather to do it!

It's a superb trip: those who like water will love it, and it should be the ideal remedy for aquaphobes.

I'd never been in Bucket, so I wanted to do that end first, then I could turn back before getting too committed if I didn't like the ducks. It turned out they were all fine with plenty of room below water level to float through on your back.

I checked out the Crystal end first, in case it was necessary to clear some shingle from the downstream side of the ducks to lower the water level. On a trip earlier in the year we had to do that to get through the first duck near the entrance. In the event it proved unnecessary, but it was fun doing the four Crystal Cave ducks in both directions before even starting the through trip.

If you haven't done this gem yet, go do it, it's a cracker.

JoggerJohn99

As we discovered Tuesday night, Cavemapper, there has been a major collapse in the entrance crawl in Bucket on the Head :(

Probably as a result of the major downpours we experienced last Thursday (10th May).

barrabus

There had been a rockfall in the entrance to Bucket last summer, just a few metres from the bottom of the ladder in the entrance shaft, but it was passable with care then (which was good because I didn't fancy turning round for the return trip to exit via Crystal!).

The blockage to which JoggerJ refers is indeed just few metres from the entrance. It comprises a mixture of rocks and silt, and although it is not passable at present, you can see over it to open passage, so it probably wouldn't be a big job to clear it. I'm not sure about the stability of the ceiling though.

In the meantime, there is a long and committing trip to be had to the downstream Bucket sump and back from Crystal Cave. It is probably a six hour trip, involving something like 11 low-airspace sections in each direction. We just need some drier weather for it.

bren

Cave Mapper said:
The blockage to which JoggerJ refers is indeed just few metres from the entrance. It comprises a mixture of rocks and silt, and although it is not passable at present, you can see over it to open passage, so it probably wouldn't be a big job to clear it. I'm not sure about the stability of the ceiling though.

In the meantime, there is a long and committing trip to be had to the downstream Bucket sump and back from Crystal Cave. It is probably a six hour trip, involving something like 11 low-airspace sections in each direction. We just need some drier weather for it.

Am planning to go up here in july - do the ducks all have air space when the route is open or do you need to free dive anyparts when water levels are higher? is it in fact passable when it sumps or are the ducks too long? have seen the NC3 description but would like to know if it goes when wet(ish) cheers

barrabus

bren said:
Am planning to go up here in july - do the ducks all have air space when the route is open or do you need to free dive anyparts when water levels are higher? is it in fact passable when it sumps or are the ducks too long? have seen the NC3 description but would like to know if it goes when wet(ish) cheers

All the ducks have airspace during low(ish) water levels. The tighter ones are all passable on your front with your head turned sideways, but some of the Bucket ducks are best done facing up to keep your face out of the water: there is plenty of space below water level but not much above.

NC3 only describes the Crystal Cave, Dog Hole/South Passage sections. For a description of Bucket on the Head you are best getting the (excellent) RRCPC Journal Vol. 10.

The usual way to get from Crystal Cave to Monsoon Chamber in Dog Hole is along the crawl above the Third Waterfall (NC3 says "...which has been forced for at least 30m in dry conditions, and may be linked to Monsoon Chamber in Dog Hole."), and not via Hey's Passage (which is "passable only to very thin cavers").

If it was "wet(ish)" I would probably go somewhere else, although other more foolish people might disagree.

bren

Thanks for that and have now read the journal in question- just got to see on the day i suppose but thanks for the advice on the ducks

darklord

re. Bucket Entrance - I went up on Sunday 3/6 and the entrance was blocked just beyond the first arch about one metre in. I've cleared this out and it's passable (although could do with some more removal).

However the roof is in a dangerous condition with the prospect of a 3-4ft pillar of rock (the roof) about to drop in - its bottom end is loose and all sorts of bits are flaking off, not good to lie beneath! The blockage was caused by stuff in the roof around this pillar falling out...so there's even less holding it in than before.

It needs a proper sorting out which I will try and organise a.s.a.p.

In the meantime, if you must go in/out Bucket be extremely careful! You have been warned..

bren

:eek: doesnt sound like the place for a club meet. there's plenty to keep us happy up there tho.thanks for the warning

darklord

I'll post a message when we've fixed it up.

If we can fix it by July it would be a shame for you to miss out - the through trip is a mini classic for those who like lots of crawling and snortling! For a more gentle introduction to Bucket, a trip to the downstream sump is a pleasant way to while away a few hours. All the Barbondale caves have a character quite distinct from the usual Dales caves further east.

darklord

**UPDATE - Sunday 24th June**

The Bucket entrance has now had remedial work, including the obligatory cementing courtesy of Andy Walsh. Should be safe now, although the entrance is basically in crappy rock in a streambed!....not much we can do about that.

Should be fine but just go gently in the first metre or so under the arch.

Pete Brookdale

The bucket entrance is still stable but the connecting choke on Dog side has shifted thanks to a certain person who may mention it when he sees this, it is the climb up through the boulders. it all collapsed and i was only just able to get through with the boulders moving around me  :eek:, anyway just heads up for the next people through. I would have had a go at stabilizing it but never done it before so will leave to professional diggers.