Caving Norway

Cavealaska

Hello I was wondering if anyone can help, I am hoping to plan a trip out to Norway next year to the bobo area to do some caving, I have been searching the web like a nutter trying to find information on caving in Norway, but coming up with limited results, does anyone know of any books maps surveys of any caves in Norway, it does not have to be in the bobo area though, any help would be greatly appreciated.

mirisra

Hi,

I might have some information and contacts to offer, but I'm just leaving away for the weekend so I get back to you at the beginning of the next week!

Les W

It could be worth contacting Trevor Faulkner as he used to expo in Norway almost every year...

You can find his contact details on the BCRA Contacts page, down the bottom where it says "Other Functions"
He is BCRA's Science Meetings Co-ordinator.  (y)

http://bcra.org.uk/contact.html#g

cfmwh

Kendal Caving Club did a lot of work out in Norway back in the late 60's / early 70's under the leadership of David Heap. Numerous write-ups in their journals. Wouldn't hurt to check them out.

Mike Wood

Near Fauske, (east of Bodo) there are some enormous caves. Okshola-Kristhola system, and Svarthammerhola (not sure about the spelling). South of Fauske and back west a bit is the Beiarn area, with some impressive caves on the north side of the fjord that the Gritstone Club explored in the 1970's and 1980's (see GC Journals). Probably room for some new exploration in this area as it's a long walk in (unless you have a boat). Early in the season the holes might be full of snow, especially at altitude.
Good area to think about; there should be enough around to keep you going for a couple of weeks..

Plenty of time to make plans if it's next year you're going!

rhychydwr1

Have a look at the website of the Norway Caving Club:

http://www.speleo.no/

Have a look at their newsletters.  Lots of information there.

and the book:

THE CAVES OF SVENNINGAL by Geoff Newton and Trevor Faulkner The Chelsea Speleological Society Records Vol 21.  1992  37 pp, many surveys.  Detailed description of some caving in a little part of Norway.