SRT kit in Green Canal of DYO

Thom

Just want to leave a note here, and see if there is a chance.

Accidentally drop my SRT kit into the Green Canal and it sank to the bottom of it.  :halo: It is closed to the cloud chamber end of the canal, after the left hand bend when the canal starts to widen.

If anyone will be treasure hunting in the Green canal and find a medium sized yellow tackle bag with a purple sling, please get it touch... Much appreciated... I know it might take a while until I hear anything.

Cheers.

Fulk

mudman's idea might work ? there's an online outfit called 'First 4magnets' who sell . . . . errrr . . . magnets; evidently you can buy one with a 20-kg pull for ?5?38p, so if everything in your kit is clipped together, it should be a usable technique. (My daughter lives on a canal boat and she and her partner keep a powerful magnet on the end of a bit of cord handy for such emergencies.)

andrewmcleod

Neither stainless steel nor aluminium will be magnetic though, do you may not have anything you can use the magnet on (possibly a step central maillons or non-stainless maillons?).

Long Drop

Thom, Gareth Davies of Welsh Section CDG is probably your best bet - he is in and out of DyO with diving gear from time to time. You might be able to come to some arrangement as Gareth is frequently on the hunt for sherpas*... :)  I'll point him at this thread.

L

(* although I believe Gareth prefers sherpas who don't drop stuff.  :( )

Fulk

I've just tried a small magnet on my SRT kit; it was attracted to the cams of my jammers, the bottom bobbin assembly of a Stop and, of course, steel MRs / krabs.

Thom

ah147 said:
Why not try posting on the CDG forum and see if anyone will go dive it for you?

I have just done that, thank you for the suggestion.

alastairgott said:
Maybe give tony seddon a shout. He's a diver and a friend of you guys, so may be able to help?

I forgot about this, but I am not sure he wants to do the long crawl though. Will give it a go if I cannot find anyone to dive it out for me...

mudman said:
How about a few rare earth magnets on the end of a length of cord and then go fishing?

Was thinking about this  :-\ but would rather not do this until I definitely couldn't find someone for a small dive  ;)

Fulk said:
mudman's idea might work ? there's an online outfit called 'First 4magnets' who sell . . . . errrr . . . magnets; evidently you can buy one with a 20-kg pull for ?5?38p, so if everything in your kit is clipped together, it should be a usable technique. (My daughter lives on a canal boat and she and her partner keep a powerful magnet on the end of a bit of cord handy for such emergencies.)

Although my kit is not clipped together, they are all in a yellow medium size tackle bag attached to a sling with a krab (not steel though). The bobbin of the stop and the jammer would not help as they are all in a bag which will be hard to attract to the magnet...

Long Drop said:
Thom, Gareth Davies of Welsh Section CDG is probably your best bet - he is in and out of DyO with diving gear from time to time. You might be able to come to some arrangement as Gareth is frequently on the hunt for sherpas*... :)  I'll point him at this thread.

L

Many thanks. I have also posted on CDG asking for him.

mudman said:
How deep is the Green Canal?

It seems not very deep. I was thinking to take my wet suit, wet socks, diving gloves, a neoprene hood and a goggle, and do a simple dive just like in a swimming pool. However, it is very silty at the bottom, so doesn't want to trap myself. This may be the only way if I cannot find anyone to fish the kit out for me.