Cordura Oversuit Join protection

dpegg

Ive just brought a new oversuit and want to prolong the life as long as possible, I've seen a number of diffrent methods for sealing the joins to prevent them breaking and wondered what people used?

SamT

Seam sealant smeared thickly over is pretty bloody good.

603034Lrg.jpg

I once stitched a tear on a warmbac cordura suit and smeared seam grip over it, The repair out lasted the rest of the suit by a long chalk. Similarly for tacklebag seams.

bsaden

The two main causes in my experience of seams failing are the suit being too small in areas, causing overstress on the seam, and general wear and tear, I don't think applying glue can help a lot.
I repair a lot of 'burst seams', but I find a lot actually still have intact stitching - the fabric around the seam has simply worn out and the weave has parted.
Washing the suit well goes a long way, as grit otherwise collects in the seams and acts as an abrasive to gradually chop through the stitching. This is the most common cause. Maybe interesting to test the effect of putting seam sealer down the outside face of the suits seams then?
So, two answers in my humble opinion-
Wash your suit carefully after each trip
Do your best to avoid mud in caves!! ha!  ;)