J Rat Awards

rhychydwr1

This is an annual award for the club that discover the most cave in Mendip or Scotland in Nov 2016 to Nov 2017.  JRatts favourite caving areas.  It will be at 7.30 pm in the Hunters.  [Mendip]  Saturday 25 th November.  Better start digging folks.

The Old Ruminator

Digging all day Saturday .
We already have 5m in hand for next years award. If I am too cold, wet and miserable I might go home rather than the Hunters.

mikem

Liar's Sink, closely followed by Pearl Mine:
https://darknessbelow.co.uk/tag/jrat-digging-award/

Mike

rhychydwr1

The winners
1 Uamh Breugar [Liar's Cave] Applecross.  297 m?
2 UNCABAC perhaps someone can translate?
3 Cutler's Green 200 m
4 Wigmore - see on U-Tube
5 Home Close
6 18 Acre not use of Hymac!
7 Sludge Pit
8 Pearl Mine on Sandford Hill.  Not sure on the one as they were re-
      opening passages made by the miners.  294 m
9 Hutton area
10 Gough's Cave
11 Reservoir Hole
12 Vurley Swallet with impressive photo of taking water.

A good crowd there.  The room was packed.

mrodoc

Stock Hill Mine Cave would have number 5 by the way but they didn't offer a presentation or survey for some reason.

The Old Ruminator

I do love the Mendip Roundup. A few digs were missing such as Halloween Rift ( They do have their own blog ), Templeton,  Anything from East Mendip, Longwood Valley Sink, Brimble Pit, Toothache etc. Stock Hill appeared in Descent but somehow got missed out of the league table with 75m. Second was Pearl Mine etc with only a handful of metres in it. Both the winner and Pearl Mine had a few metres in hand which would have made the difference so that is why secrecy is important in the final run in. The pearl Mine images showed the fantastic pearls " some as big as pigeons eggs " sadly the before and after closure images showed that the biggest had gone. Bloody wicked.

mikem

Presumably somebody who knew the entrance was going to be filled in, as the pearls were apparently still there not long before it happened.

The room was not as packed as in previous years. Note Tony's list is the order of presentations, not rankings.

UNCABAC -  Uamh nan Clogaid a Bha Air Chall (Cave of the helmet that was lost):
http://www.gsg.org.uk/sites/default/files/uploaded-documents/Bull444%20Oct10.pdf

Liar's Sink claimed 302m & Pearl Mine (which is natural passage modified by miners) 297m. Cutler's Green total is about 200m, but not for this year - Wigmore was 3rd with c.150m.

Mike