Gwynedd Slate Landscape

davel

It seems the bid for World Heritage status for the Gwynedd slate landscape has been successful.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57986167

Dave

Cantclimbtom

I've been reading this with interest in news for a while. I have to admit I don't know what it means. What are the consequences of getting that label?

pwhole

You get to build loads of garishly-modern office and retail space right in the middle of the old stuff? ;)

Seriously though, this is really good news.

SamT

I assume that's the llanberis slate quarrys then. 

Wonder how the climbing there would be affected. 

It'll not last for ever, they're all falling down at a rapid (in geological terms) rate.

Cantclimbtom

Good news if you're a signwriter with a contract with Gwynedd. You get to make a heap of dual language signs

UNESCO world heritage site
Dwi allan o swydd

If you know the incident I'm referring to ;)

SamT

Reminds me of the out of office road sign...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-responsible-welsh-translation-gaffe-15214716

Digit

Cantclimbtom said:
Good news if you're a signwriter with a contract with Gwynedd. You get to make a heap of dual language signs

UNESCO world heritage site
Dwi allan o swydd

If you know the incident I'm referring to ;)

If you follow the lead of some other sites you also need to get it right in Spanish, French, German, Japanese and Chinese.

RobinGriffiths

I guess the council will think twice about planning permission in future, lest they go the same way as Liverpool Docks. Interestingly, Caernarfon had a 'public warning' from Unesco when the Victoria Docks 'development' was built a few years ago.

Corris doesn't seem to be on the list unless it's lumped in with Bryneglwys.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the currently working quarries, particularly those bulk-working the tips.

Digit

Just been having a quiet mental chuckle about the possibilies of confusion now there are two overlapping World Heritage Sites.  Suppose Edwards Castles WHS was having a bit of a do and the Norman Knight re-enactors turned up at say the Prince of Wales Quarry.
Unlikely maybe, or maybe not I was once stopped on the A5 in Bangor (before the bypass) and asked "Is it much further to Carmarthen?".  "About 3+ hours" didn't go down to well.

Digit

RobinGriffiths said:
I guess the council will think twice about planning permission in future, lest they go the same way as Liverpool Docks. Interestingly, Caernarfon had a 'public warning' from Unesco when the Victoria Docks 'development' was built a few years ago.

Corris doesn't seem to be on the list unless it's lumped in with Bryneglwys.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the currently working quarries, particularly those bulk-working the tips.

The list appears to be:-
    Penrhyn slate quarry, Bethesda and the Ogwen Valley to Port Penrhyn
    Dinorwig slate quarry mountain landscape
    Nantlle Valley slate quarry landscape
    Gorseddau and Prince of Wales slate quarries, railways and mill
    Ffestiniog's slate mines, quarries, "city of slates" and the railway to Porthmadog
    Bryneglwys slate quarry, Abergynolwyn village and the Talyllyn railway
    Aberllefenni slate quarry

langcliffe

RobinGriffiths said:

These are in the 'buffer zones'.

The full Management Plan for the proposal may be found at:

https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/Council/Documents---Council/Have-your-say/Slates/Slate-Landscapes-ENG-190809.pdf

alex17595

What could this mean in regards to access to the mines? I can't see the entrances to places like Croesor and Rhosydd surviving very long if they start getting even more groups of unprepared tourists.

Cantclimbtom

Rhosydd is safe, a foot of water is plenty protection from people casually wandering in. Croesor more of a concern, but if gated there's the shaft, wouldn't be quite the same though as an "introductory" trip with its powers to corrupt innocent urbex and climbers into further subterranean trips.

RobinGriffiths

Heh. We met a couple of urbexers coming up the incline at M**noff*r*n on Saturday. No helmets, and a couple of hand torches. Just did the 'first level going off on the right as you go down' - not sure what terminology for veins, chambers etc. is down there. Quite a bit of death potential where roofing tunnels break through into massive chambers below though. Should really post some photos of the mill now that AN is down.

Paul Marvin

pwhole said:
You get to build loads of garishly-modern office and retail space right in the middle of the old stuff? ;)

Seriously though, this is really good news.

No if you do that you lose your heritage status  :LOL:

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
Rhosydd is safe, a foot of water is plenty protection from people casually wandering in. Croesor more of a concern, but if gated there's the shaft, wouldn't be quite the same though as an "introductory" trip with its powers to corrupt innocent urbex and climbers into further subterranean trips.

Rhosydd  :-\  A small linear platform would easily avoid any wet fee

Cantclimbtom

Paul Marvin said:
Cantclimbtom said:

Well you say "small", but any platform to keep feet dry walking in to Adit9 would need to be 2,221 foot long

RobinGriffiths

Links between slate industry and slavery. But you wouldn't expect anything else from the Pennants.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/30/the-links-between-welsh-slate-and-slavery

I'm for for a trundle around Wrysgan now.

Cantclimbtom

Be careful, the words "trundle" and "trundling" seems to be gaining ground (US influence possibly) to mean chucking big rocks off cliffs or rolling them down steep slopes. Commonly, not what I'd call "scalling" for safety work but giggling idiots doing it for fun, clearly not thinking of others. Unless of course that's what you meant, and you plan to roll a huge boulder down the incline/tunnel?

Enjoy!!

alex17595

Paul Marvin said:
Cantclimbtom said:

Someone dug a trench in front of it not long ago, so the water level is much lower than it used to be. You might even be able to get in with walking boots.

I went for a walk up there yesterday and for the first time I actually saw other people in the adit.