Mineshafts in P8 Carpark

bograt

If you mean the one in the old layby before they put in the bridleway, I was asked to research it to respond to the planning application, IIRC, it was looked at and recorded many moons ago by BSA and listed as an un-named blind shaft, that was after I spent some time with the Eyam oracle.

Mark

Had a look at these a few years ago about 40ft deep, loads of old rubbish on ledges, (got some nice old bottles and jars out)

I seem to recall the two shafts connected with, a big rock in the bottom, blocking off a narrow stope, to water about 10ft lower

Pitlamp

Grand pictures Mark.

For ah147: I have a vague memory that someone else asked exactly the same question on this forum 3 or 4 years ago - maybe danthecavingman. Might be worth a quick search incase anything useful was said last time round? I also seem to remember someone in the TSG investigating but can't remember who. If you really want to be thorough you might arrange to glance back through some TSG logbooks? But Mark's helpful post above has probably already sorted what you wanted to know.

Pitlamp

Thanks for looking Paul - I was just about to start my tea when I typed the last comment.

Pipster

Thanks for posting those pictures Mark; great to see them. It would be good to add them added to the wiki page Ah147 has referred to. I'll do it if you're happy for me to add your images (and if I can figure out how!)

Pitlamp said:
I have a vague memory that someone else asked exactly the same question on this forum 3 or 4 years ago - maybe danthecavingman.
That was me who asked :) I never got round to take a look either...

Mark said:
I seem to recall the two shafts connected with, a big rock in the bottom, blocking off a narrow stope, to water about 10ft lower
Interesting. I wonder if anyone has been to see if the water level drops during a dry period...

pwhole

Is it possible that nearby pond leaks into it? Although I guess it would probably stink if it did...

Pipster

ah147 said:
Cheers for all the help! Pipster, you ever fancy it you know where I am.
:)

pwhole said:
Is it possible that nearby pond leaks into it? Although I guess it would probably stink if it did...
Good point; the pond must be 50m'ish away (does that sound about right?), so it could well seep into it.