Access to Alum Pot

Rachel

Went out last Fri night, hoping to get down Alum, but when we got to the end of Alum Pot Lane, there was a great big scary bull looking at us from the other side of the gate. We looked at him, he looked at us. Then he glared and made a noise that definitely meant 'don't even think of climbing over'. So we hotfooted it back to the car and went elsewhere. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I wouldn't have liked to be halfway up to Alum before I spotted this guy!

paul

Rachel said:
Went out last Fri night, hoping to get down Alum, but when we got to the end of Alum Pot Lane, there was a great big scary bull looking at us from the other side of the gate. [snip] I wouldn't have liked to be halfway up to Alum before I spotted this guy!

Why - did he have SRT kit on? :LOL:

mudmonkey

I believe a bull descending Alum without SRT kit would be every bit as scary as one with. Though more than slightly quicker.

D

Dave H

Not that it would have helped on a dark Friday night, but it's probably worth noting that if there are no cows in the field, a bull is usually no more likely to be more of a menace than curious cows (running up to within 6-7 metres before stopping, and then following you up the field) Facing them and swinging you arms about will usually move any animals on a farm (except llamas and ostriches!) If there are cows in the field with the bull – do not enter unless you really have to.

The breeds of cattle with dangerous bulls (Jerseys, Guernseys, Friesians) are not normally found in upland areas, and dangerous bulls will always be kept inside in strong pens, in order for the farmer to be able to control them.

But if you're not confident around cattle, it's always better to find an alternative cave.

Vice-President of Northants Young Farmers Clubs

dunc

Facing them and swinging you arms about will usually move any animals on a farm (except llamas and ostriches!) If there are cows in the field with the bull – do not enter unless you really have to.
Usually I find that technique works for me when I'm out on my own walking but NOT always as I found out walking in the forest of bowland once, a bunch of about a dozen cows saw me coming and as soon as I stepped on the stile they crowded round and wouldn't budge to let me off despite vast amounts of shouting, arm waving and god knows what else, I tried the gate and ran at it and they wouldn't shift (bloody stubborn is not the right word for these cows!) - so I hopped into next field and strolled down and watched them chase me along the wall lol.. (curious cows? more like stalker cows!!!)

I know the Alum path isn't a public right of way but did you pay for access as you should and if so did the farmer say anything regarding the bull?? Surely he would have said something along lines of it was closed that evening due to bull in field (which he is perfectly entitled to do) or at least informed you of the bull being in the field...
FYI.. The law regarding bulls on public rights of way is:
A bull of up to ten months old, yes can be kept in a field crossed by public paths. Bulls over ten months of a recognised dairy breed (Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) are banned from fields crossed by public paths under all circumstances. All other bulls over ten months are banned unless accompanied by cows or heifers. If any bulls act in a way which endangers the public, an offence may be committed under health and safety legislation..

C

Cave Ferret

Dunc said:
FYI.. The law regarding bulls on public rights of way is:
A bull of up to ten months old, yes can be kept in a field crossed by public paths. Bulls over ten months of a recognised dairy breed (Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) are banned from fields crossed by public paths under all circumstances. All other bulls over ten months are banned unless accompanied by cows or heifers. If any bulls act in a way which endangers the public, an offence may be committed under health and safety legislation..

What a load of bull....Ho Ho :D

paul

Last year I was with a group of cavers getting ready to go down Oxlow Cavern in Derbyshire and one of us, Steve, hadn't any water for his carbide generator. I saw a water trough in the field across the road and suggested he nipped into the field and get some water from the trough, about 20 metres inside the gate.

Unfortunately, I then spotted a bull in the further corner of the field who was walking quickly in his direction. Steve coudn't see the bull as he was crouched down at the trough and there was some sort of water tank on wheels obscuring his view as it was between him and the bull.

Steve, of course, thought I was pulling his leg about the bull! I told him it was now *running* in his direction and again he told me to "P*ss Off!" and continued filling his generator. However, he soon heard the thundering hooves and stood up!

He then realised I wasn't kidding. He broke the 20 metre sprint record and did a neat gate-vault, still with the carbide generator clasped in his hand, just in time as the bull arrived just behind and stood there bellowing loudly!

It was about 10 minutes before any of us could speak as we were rolled up with laughter! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cave_Troll

We met some really big arsed bulls in Spain (Matienzo)
Mind you it probably didn't help that we were walking along the track after dark and waking the things up. that and they didn't really have anywhere else to go due to terrain.
Still a shortgun would have been comforting.
Going back to the first posting, presumably you went back to the farm to get a refund on your access charge. could you not have asked about his friendlyness at the same time?

Rachel

Cave_Troll said:
We met some really big arsed bulls in Spain (Matienzo)
Mind you it probably didn't help that we were walking along the track after dark and waking the things up. that and they didn't really have anywhere else to go due to terrain.
Still a shortgun would have been comforting.
Going back to the first posting, presumably you went back to the farm to get a refund on your access charge. could you not have asked about his friendlyness at the same time?

At least I didn't part with any cash - I usually leave the money on the windowsill afterwards if I'm caving at some ungodly hour of the night. As for friendliness.... the body language said it all!

ianball11

We were at Longchurn last weekend and drove a huge hole into the grass verge half way down the lane, before it gets a bit too rocky for a minibus.

We headed off to pay our 50p access fee, but we ended having a debate on the farm to pay it at, not the first on the left into Selside, but not on the right where do you go to pay the access fee, when you pay the access fee?

Ian B.

paul

ianball11 said:
We headed off to pay our 50p access fee, but we ended having a debate on the farm to pay it at, not the first on the left into Selside, but not on the right where do you go to pay the access fee, when you pay the access fee?

:?: Pardon?

ianball11

paul said:
ianball11 said:

:?: Pardon?
The goodwill gesture to the dude who puts big loads of gravel on the fell up to Alum?

kay

It's the farmhouse which is set back from the rest, on the opposite side of the road from the lane where you park. Think it's white painted with bits of black on it. They've started issuing 'tickets'.