Heat detecting video camera?

Rob

Sorry, no thermal imaging camera, but really looking forward to seeing how you get on.

However i'd be wary of wasting too much time with a drone. If there were large outward warm drafts in Eldon Quarry they'd have been spotted during snow cover. I think you'll need to be on a much more macro scale to spot anything other than the standard background variances.... But that's only a hunch.

2xw

Some folks I know have been considering use of a drone with thermal/IR camera for a while, for use surface bashing in Morocco - the idea being you could run it over in the winter when it snows and it would show venting hot air from holes with snow around. With the snow, the resolution might not have to be too massive. (I thought I could beat them to it with NOAA satellite data [GOES AVHRR 3a] but I don't think the resolution is good enough even with GOES-R going up in October, I had to stop looking in January when exams came - and it's probably not relevant for stuff in eldon quarry, sorry)

If ya got a thermal camera it might be more efficient for you to just wander round with it...

alastairgott

Hmm, yes rob you're probably right about the drone, and my friend has come back to say he doesn't have it any more :(

Some guys in the office work for a hire company, which rent out most tools and stuff, I probably wont be able to rent anything out for this weekend, but i'll see what i can do for another weekend. it could work, but how much ?$???

I remember speaking to some guys in the nuclear industry at a hidden earth a couple of years ago, but i have no idea who they are or whether they might have access to a thermal imaging camera? (It was early hours of the morning) :)

bograt

I seem to remember previous threads that indicated Mark Wrights son being into drones and, I think, Sam(?) having access to a TI camera?

owd git

Report a toddler missing in t' quarry and see what the emergency services come up with? :confused: :spank:
Whoops !.Too far?
O.G.

SamT

Cant believe nobodys linked this yet...

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=14554.0
and
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17702.0

I have a camera Ali, and will happily come out to eldon with you.  Monday evening possibly.

I'm reasonably convinced that its a bit of a waste of time faffing about with TI cameras and drones etc.  All a lot of faffing about (albeit good fun) for not much gain.

However, I'm willing to come out and play as part of my on going experiments with it, which continue to disappoint.

It is also possibly getting a bit warm now.  You need a temperature differential for it to stand any chance of it working.  Underground temp is about 10-12 deg at best.  So if the outdoor temp is 8-10 - you've not much differential.  Need a freezing cold night really.

Let me know if monday eve is a goer.

alastairgott

mr townsend, sorry i'm holiday-ing at SWCC this week, so i'm lacking in tech and my phone is a bit sh!@

are you free this weekend? You have an IR camera! Wow.

Right, so if you do, that would be cheaper than hiring...

So any other things that would be good to look at? I guess if we need the temp diff then we need to do in the late evening or early morning? I also have another long abandoned quarry i want to look at, its in a place with no known cave and with reasonable potential perhaps? Worth a look.