Berger Trip. Personal top tips requested

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
I am fortunate enough to be going on a trip to the Berger in summer.

Any personal tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for personal nuggets of experience / tips rather than the big stuff.

T I A

:bow:

Mark Wright

Ian P said:

T I A

There is a book. Avaialable at

www.gouffreberger.org

Mark

David Rose

Don't do it on ladders. Use SRT.

But seriously... check the weather forecast and water levels carefully. The Berger in good conditions is essentially benign. In flood, it is a killer.

Don't plan to camp on the way in when you bottom it. Either do it as a bounce, or stop for a rest at camp 1 on the way out. That way you are less exposed to flood risk: you can sit out a flood at camp 1, if the entrance series becomes impassable, but if you are hit by flooding in the couffinades or beyond, you are in trouble.

Don't wear a plastic (PVC) suit, although most of the shots in Mr Wright's essential book do show people wearing them. You will get too hot.

Be prepared to get quite wet below Hurricane pitch (the last one). Even in dry weather, and even if you stop at the pseuo-siphon (as I did), you will be in up to waist or further, though not for long.

Make sure you have enough food to keep you going.

GoneCaving

In response to the above, I would suggest being prepared for a bivi. On my first trip there I don't think there was a single group that didn't have to sit it out for a bit (one group in the entrance series, and in my case just above Little Monkey and at Camp 2). It's certainly possible to sit out a flood pulse in the lower section of the cave, but it ain't pleasant.

yrammy

I used three cows tails. The 3rd helped me when people with long arms had done the rigging!

If you get to Lake Cadoux and it is dryish on the way in, make sure you park your dingy on the right side in case it had flooded on your way out...........  a nice swim.

Make sure the rope on Cairn is not caugth up on the ledge partway down so out of reach for the next person to climb up........

Dont change over onto  you own cows tail at the top of Aldos (Sid!)

Take tomato soup to eat when you get out to base camp - yummy. 

Fulk

Be prepared to get quite wet below Hurricane pitch (the last one). Even in dry weather, and even if you stop at the pseuo-siphon (as I did), you will be in up to waist or further, though not for long.

Hmmm . . . and if you fall in the canal, you'll be piss wet through for a long time (speaking from personal experience!).

Alex

That canal is one of the more strenuous sections as it involves tentioned traverses. The steam passage beyond is also has a few of those (one quite long) on them. Best bring something to help you cross those sort of obstacles, as they are very hard carrying bags and I got stuck in the middle of one where it sagged for quite some time. Using a hand jammer to pull yourself across does not work well, having not done many of these in the UK or otherwise I can't advise the best way of doing them. Maybe get your mates to pull you across on the other rope, or maybe it's just me being a bit useless at the time. (there were two ropes going across neither looked in good condition so I clipped into both, which made things rather difficult). Which brings me to my other point don't rely on in-situ stuff it gets blasted by floods every year.

GoneCaving

Alex said:
That canal is one of the more strenuous sections as it involves tentioned traverses.
I heard rumours that they're sometimes dry. Wasn't my experience on either of my two trips.

The steam passage beyond is also has a few of those (one quite long) on them. Best bring something to help you cross those sort of obstacles, as they are very hard carrying bags and I got stuck in the middle of one where it sagged for quite some time. Using a hand jammer to pull yourself across does not work well, having not done many of these in the UK or otherwise I can't advise the best way of doing them.
Yep, I got pretty hung up on one of those, while carrying two bags of rope. Was very glad for a mate to come back and help me out.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The Berger is a great cave but quite easy for its depth.  Make sure you are fit and slick with your SRT and you will be able to enjoy it all the more.

The big decision you have is whether to go to the very bottom (the sump) or not. If you turn back at the deep pool just beyond the 1000m inlet then you can stay pretty dry.  On one of my trips I never even got water down my wellies getting to this point.  Going across that pool you'll be in waist deep water and soon be at the old divers camp.  Beyond that you'll be neck deep to get to the sump.  You'll need to consider what type of clothing works for you in these different conditions.

Have a great trip.

Beardy

Quote Badlad  "Beyond that you'll be neck deep to get to the sump."

I remember nearly drowning in the pseudo-siphon which was a proper out of depth swim of some distance in quite cold water
and feeling distinctly underdressed in a wetsuit long-john and a fleece top.....

I also remember that not knowing that the final pitch was by-passable via the divers camp also nearly caught me out
The jump down into the deep pool at the bottom of the pitch was easy the return was not so easy?
The in-situ bit of blue poly-prop  dangling half way down the pitch lured me on downwards in hindsight this was perhaps a lapse in judgement.

Beardy

GoneCaving

Badlad said:
The big decision you have is whether to go to the very bottom (the sump) or not. If you turn back at the deep pool just beyond the 1000m inlet then you can stay pretty dry.  On one of my trips I never even got water down my wellies getting to this point.
Hah, on both of my trips it was impossible to traverse the canals without being waist deep in water.

Mark R

Canals- climb the rock, dont try hualing yourslef along the ropes, it kills your arms. You can virtually do the whole thing without hanging on a rope and I find it much less energy sapping, also, try floating your tackle bag through the canals beneath you on a long haul cord, even if the bag doesn't float on the surface let the water do the work of supporting most of the weight. (you will of course end up with heavy rope)...
Many people burn off far too much energy in the canal section and are exhausted for what is to follow. You can get to the pseudo siphon and back with dry feet but allowing yourself some damp feet will probably save energy!

Dont do the pseudo siphon swim in a 3mm shorty wetsuit.. or a furry!

Be prepared to get very hot.. and very cold! (a small waterproof jacket to pull on over the top of your suit when you find yourself waiting has worked really well for me).

Take your time- stop to look around, enjoy the history and the atmosphere. Take a big light and drink in the experience. Try not to push yourself so fast you miss what makse it such a special cave. Camping is not necessary but I find it really enjoyable and it only adds to the whole experience.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Take your time and enjoy this magnificent cave.

Still remains one of the very best caving trips I've ever done.  It was the trip where Badlad had dry feet, I got one foot wet - we were fortunate the conditions were dry  :)

If you too have good weather, consider camping on the way out, just because....

Oh and if you do camp, plan enough food for breakfast - a few wine gums and half a cup of custard was not enough  :eek:

Enjoy  ;)

skippy

Mark Wright said:
Ian P said:

T I A

There is a book. Avaialable at

www.gouffreberger.org

Mark

Ian,
The cottage copy will be returned on Saturday

skippy

Oh, and thaks for the tips so far...I was Pondering over PVC or AV as I also thought PVC may be a little warm. Thanks for that little nugget Dave.

Mark Wright

David Rose said:
Don't wear a plastic (PVC) suit, although most of the shots in Mr Wright's essential book do show people wearing them. You will get too hot.

Couldn't agree more.

Some of us wore PVC suits on the first couple of photographic trips as we were sure Robbie would have us all standing under waterfalls with flash guns. He did.

Get yourself a nice new AV from Starless River.

Mark 

Fulk

Having done some rigging in the entrance series and the pitches below the Grande Gallerie (is it) ? where the Grande Cascade is ? I figured that went I went on a 'bottoming' trip i'd carry my overuit (a yellow plastic one) rather than wear it, until I got to the end of the Canals.

MarkS

I definitely agree with Mark R's advice above. The ropes seem tempting to use, but stick to the rock handholds as much as possible. You'll use a lot less energy. I think we  had about 3 bags each when we derigged the canals, and they were no bother hanging in the water on a long tether below us.

If water levels are relatively low, I'd definitely recommend taking of your oversuit between Aldo's and the canals (and for the entrance series if you don't mind a small amount of abrasion on your undersuit. Saves getting sweaty during the dry stuff where there is no abrasion, and is much more pleasant in my opinion.

. Everything that goes in has to come out. So don't forget to carry your PortaPotty (and it's contents) out with you!  ;)

Attachments

• 60 67 camp 1 - Copy.jpg
    60 67 camp 1 - Copy.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 501