Win free BCA / BCRA membership.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member

:D DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 21ST AUGUST!! :D

CALLING ALL CAVING SCIENTISTS / PHOTOGRAPHERS

WIN FREE BCA/BCRA MEMBERSHIP FOR 2017

Can you help the BCRA with their search for a photograph for the front cover of 2015 Annual Review??

wl

To quote BCRA:

Provide a photograph to appear on the front of the BCRA Annual Review for 2015. The photo will be square [cropped if necessary], to fit the space shown. The winning photograph must be high quality and should illustrate an aspect of cave science, ideally related to the BCRA although other photos illustrating research in caves will also be considered. This could include photographs taken during BCRA field meetings (including SIG meetings), photos illustrating research funded by the BCRA CSTRF, or those showing research on expeditions supported by the GPF, a BCRA sub-charity. The prize is free membership of BCA / BCRA in 2017. Entries will be judged by the BCRA President (Dr D J Lowe) and Chairman (Prof J Gunn). The deadline for receipt of entries is 21 August 2016. A condition of entry is that the photographer grants permission for the BCRA to use the photograph on the cover of the Annual Review for 2015 and in any future BCRA publication or publicity material.

So if you'd like to see your photograph gracing the front cover of a prestigious publication, help out the BCRA and win yourself free membership of the BCA/BCRA - please post your entry/entries on this thread.

Good luck!!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The 3D laser scanning project might be able to supply a few suitable images.  Unfortunately me and Pegasus never took very many good photos although held a lot of flash guns for the professionals.  Still It'll get the competition started.

Here's one from the Salle Verna last year.

wl

..and a scan photo of the team in Titan Chamber, Anlong, China.  Me and Pegasus on the left  :)

wl

FYI the project has just returned from Belize Chamber... in Belize.  That was number ten.  Four more on our list to go.

bograt

A lot of tanning in that second photo, didn't realise it was that sunny in China!---- :LOL: :LOL:

blackshiver

https://flic.kr/p/vgpGg5

Usual trouble posting a picture - I did follow the forum instructions for Flickr after a quick search but only the link shows.

2015 - the discovery and survey of the second longest cave in the UK with a single entrance, completion of the 13.24km survey and publication of the Hudgillburn paper for Caves and Karst science prompts Alexander Klimchouk to visit and study this remarkable Hypogenic Cave system.

Posted photo for you Blackshiver - thank you for supporting the competition, Pegasus  (y) (Removed 12/12/2016 as requested)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, not much support for the BCRA's competition.

So here's a reminder to please support the BCRA is their search for a photo....

Ever had a camera with you when:

Surveying?

Dye Tracing?

Using a cave radio?

Seen any 'cave biology'?

Archaeology?

Been on a field trip/been supported by a grant??

I've taken these ideas off the BCRA website www.bcra.org.uk - lots more ideas on there.

If you're not sure your photo qualifies, post it anyway and the judges can decide - and we'll all enjoy looking at your work.

Thanks, Pegasus

mch

Here's one just to encourage others. Taken in Cromford Sough on my way in to place a couple of detectors for a dye trace - a tenuous cave science connection.
dateposted

Just can't get the hang of posting photographs even though I follow the instructions - guess I'll just give up!

Clive G

Here are a couple of photos to follow - which I'll post in separate replies - to give people some ideas of the sort of thing to go for.

Inductive-Radio%20Link%20from%20Daren%20Cilau%20to%20Agen%20Allwedd%20001%20-%20crop%20j_zpshkjyhkxm.jpg

Peter Bolt communicating from Archies, Updweeb, in Daren Cilau to Stuart France at the Severn Beach, Priory Road, in Agen Allwedd, 27th October 1990. An inductive-radio link from two separate locations is used to provide precise positioning of the two caves and their respective surveys relative to each other.

Clive G

And a second, closer view of the same scene:

Inductive-Radio%20Link%20from%20Daren%20Cilau%20to%20Agen%20Allwedd%20002%20-%20crop%20j_zpsdru1apqc.jpg

Peter Bolt communicating from Archies, Updweeb, in Daren Cilau to Stuart France at the Severn Beach, Priory Road, in Agen Allwedd, 27th October 1990. An inductive-radio link from two separate locations is used to provide precise positioning of the two caves and their respective surveys relative to each other.

Clive G

mch said:
Here's one just to encourage others. Taken in Cromford Sough on my way in to place a couple of detectors for a dye trace - a tenuous cave science connection.
dateposted

Just can't get the hang of posting photographs even though I follow the instructions - guess I'll just give up!

Use something like Photobucket.com (no subscription charge) to upload your images to an online server and then, after selecting the specific image you want to include in the posting, which should take you to a page with the image on its own, plus the various links required for 'sharing' the picture, copy the full 'Direct' link and paste it into your reply on UKCaving. Next, highlight the picture link in your post under construction prior to selecting the image icon (below the 'bold' button and Font Size tab) to make sure the pasted address is identified by the software - at the beginning and end - as being a picture link.

Provided you've got it right, you should be able to see the image when using the 'Preview' button.

JasonC

You don't even need to do that now..
Hit 'Reply'
Look for the 'Attachments and other options' link
Hit it
It gives you a 'Choose file' button with which you can browse to a pic on your own computer
Hit 'Post'

Amy

I have some really cool shots working with bat studies, one of my favs actually ive taken. Is it ok that itnis a southeastern tricolor and study in the US? I am in BCA :) just renewed actually

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Amy said:
I have some really cool shots working with bat studies, one of my favs actually ive taken. Is it ok that itnis a southeastern tricolor and study in the US? I am in BCA :) just renewed actually

Hi Amy, by all means post your photos - the judges can decide if they are eligible - and we get to see your photos  ;) 

mch

Thanks Pegasus for suggesting Photobucket. Gave it a try but still no success!

DSC05096_zpszjt1u2rv.jpg.html

DSC05096_zpszjt1u2rv.jpg

You were so close! - when you copied the image address over .html was added on the end.  I took that off and hey presto!  Cheers, Pegasus  ;)

Vulcan

Not the best picture, but here is my entry. It was taken on a trip to Cloford quarry big cave, to see the geological unconformity that is visible in the cave.

P1020326_zps82j1thph.jpg

lumenchild

going underground  Stephanie Michelle Jones,

Attachments

• 12742484_805759469536506_7383763656005727365_n.jpg
    12742484_805759469536506_7383763656005727365_n.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 202

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Finishes on Monday, folks - surely there must be some more photos showing the scientific side of cavers??

Thanks to all those who have already entered and supported the BCRA, the forum and the competitions  (y)

Cheers, Pegasus

ian.p

photo.php

Krystna koziol demonstrating use of water sampling and analysis equipment on leck fell

5512_10151415807764526_94859304_n.jpg

Ben Wright injecting dye in Notts 2

338977_10150293065154526_3499008_o.jpg

Chris Jones at the entrance to a glacial cave near the snout of the gorner glacier Switzerland

47376_430516969525_5827973_n.jpg

Matt Jones surveying in magnum hohler Dachstein austria

Note from Pegasus - thanks so much for posting these photos - sorry couldn't get the first one to post properly.  Will post links below on how best to post photos  :)