Cryogenic Stal In Shatter Cave.

The Old Ruminator

Well this has mostly been inspired by the Halloween Rift account in the recent Descent. ( No265 ). I thought I would go on a photo hunt though my files to illustrate the same sort of features from Shatter Cave. Funny how you don't see things in passing though some of the images were intentional.

Ring Road Chamber.

Lateral fracturing bottom right but behind the large stalagmite there is a large upturned and fragmented stal boss.

Pisa Passage.

Right at the level of the phreatic - vadose transition is The Leaning Tower of Pisa . Recemented and not actually touching the wall.

The Old Ruminator

Pisa Passage.

At the phreatic-vadose transition by the cavers orange helmet a large broken and recemented stal on the ledge.

Bottom Right.

Cryogenic fractured stalagmite that a caver has probably stood back up.

Lateral cryogenic fracture with post periglacial deposition in the foreground. ( A typical feature in Shatter Cave ).

The Old Ruminator

Actually Withyhill Cave but parts of Withyhill are part of the Shatter Cave phreatic-vadose conduit and are therefore related in cryogenic formations. There seem to be no cryogenic stal in the Withyhill conduit suggesting it is younger in relative terms. Not stream related but appears to be cryogenic  transport of sediments, formerly a couple of metres deep, leaving this hanging false floor.

Cryogenic fracturing of stalagmite enveloped by post periglacial flow.

Tor Chamber.

Bottom left and right. Formations lie detached from their original position high up in the chamber.

Those Boots.

Several broken stalagmites lie in what may be white cryogenic material. Looks similiar to that in Reservoir Hole but I have not had chance to check it.

Sediment removal and fractured calcite flowstone caused by frost heave.

Cryogenically fractured stalagmite embedded in post periglacial calcite flow so typical of Shatter Cave.

Cryogenic fracturing and shift with subsequent calcite deposition.

The Old Ruminator

Fractured and dislocated stalagmite with subsequent deposition.

Massive dislocated and upturned stalagmite boss from The Frozen Deep as far as I know the largest cryogenic stal on Mendip.

I am no expert in these matters and have used the criteria put forward by Vince Simmonds in Descent and other dissertations.

http://www.mendipgeoarch.net/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241835065_Cryogenic_fracturing_of_calcite_flowstone_in_caves_Theoretical_considerations_and_field_observations_in_Kents_Cavern_Devon_UK