Gastack Beck canyoning

Jack Hare

So I appreciate this is a caving, not a canyoning board, but hear me out.

I went to look at Gastack Beck waterfall on Sunday [1] after hearing from another caver that it was possible to do a canyoning style pull through trip. It's an impressive waterfall, with a few more nice waterfalls up and downstream, and some cascades. No bolts in evidence, but plenty of trees to put a sling around. There is a footpath leading to the top and to the bottom of the canyon section, though I'm guessing there's no explicit right of way along the beck!

I was wondering if anyone has made this short descent, and has any further information.  There are a series of caves leading from the beck, the longest being Robin's Dub cave [2], so possibly some cavers have interacted with the landowner before

[1] https://goo.gl/maps/saVkhHqqj3y2RzSc6

[2] https://northerncaves.co.uk/caves/details.php?id=1837

Pitlamp

Isn't that the waterfall called Lockin Garth Force, right next to (and just upstream from) the road? This may help you Google further information.

If so, we occasionally use it for testing diving equipment. Just be careful if considering a jump; it's not especially wide or deep (maximum depth is at -3.5 m but some parts less).

There is a reference to this site in CDG Newsletter 198 (January 2016) pages 15 & 16.

Regarding access to the further parts of Gastack Beck; anyone who was involved with Whernside Manor back in the day might know (or know who to ask). Fulk, on this forum, may chip in here?

Jack Hare

Yes, that's the one. Good to have that name - I went with the name on Google maps, but OS maps does have Lockin Garth. Thanks for the further info.

Fjell

This is a gentle trip in limestone nearby. Very pleasant. Can take confident children. Has a nice safe jump. No gear unless you want to reverse the jump on the insitu traverse line. Best to use at least a shortie wetsuit.

https://www.summitpost.org/hell-gill/983610

Duck ditch

I?ve climbed up it all as a gill scramble.  The one seen from the road is the only one I could not climb.  It?s fun with two swims if you like

Jack Hare

Fjell said:
This is a gentle trip in limestone nearby. Very pleasant. Can take confident children. Has a nice safe jump. No gear unless you want to reverse the jump on the insitu traverse line. Best to use at least a shortie wetsuit.

https://www.summitpost.org/hell-gill/983610

Yes, I did it a few weekends ago, it is very fun! I was hoping for something I could abseil down, I'm missing out on my annual canyoning trip to the Continent due to all this covid stuff.

Duck ditch said:
I?ve climbed up it all as a gill scramble.  The one seen from the road is the only one I could not climb.  It?s fun with two swims if you like

Ah, that's good to know, thanks! I think there are a couple more waterfalls above the one at the road, though we couldn't see clearly from the banks.

Fulk

Hi Jack, if you're looking for something a bit more challenging, how about Cautley Spout?

Jack Hare

Fulk said:
Hi Jack, if you're looking for something a bit more challenging, how about Cautley Spout?

Now that does look worth checking out! This is the problem with canyoning in the UK - very hard to even find the names, let alone the details, of places to go. It's a big change from caving, or canyoning in Switzerland or France. Thanks!

Fulk

Yes, it is a bit slippery ? don't forget your knee and elbowpads!

Here's a snap of the third pitch with the pool at the bottom:

Attachments

• Cautley Spout 2.jpg
    Cautley Spout 2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 172

Fulk

I can't remember; I'll have to consult my 'caving log'.
Anyway, the actual Spout is apt to be a bit soggy (in fact, a full descent is quite a serious undertaking):

But as langcliffe says, the views are good:

Attachments

• Cautley Spout 3.jpg
    Cautley Spout 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
  • View from CS.jpg
    View from CS.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 158

Fulk

Is that the one where the lip of the pool is the next 30 metre drop?

Did you mean 30ft  ;); according to my notes, it's 10 m.

JJ

The other way to do this "canyon"......... if you have the money  :-[

https://www.howstean.co.uk/outdoor-activities/heli-canyoning/    :eek: :eek:

grahams

Jack Hare said:
Fulk said:

Now that does look worth checking out! This is the problem with canyoning in the UK - very hard to even find the names, let alone the details, of places to go. It's a big change from caving, or canyoning in Switzerland or France. Thanks!

Try these -

Buck Beck Gill, Kingsdale Head, latlong 54.211484, -2.441205
There's a bit of loose rock to be wary of. A rope will be needed to descend the 20 ft pitch.

Hell Gill, Mallerstang, latlong 54.366627, -2.331014
No equipment needed but a handline will be useful in wetter than average conditions. The crux is a leap into a pool which can be avoided by an in-situ rope. Beware of slippery limestone.

Both are both well worth a visit and are extremely photogenic.

Attachments

• hell gill 016.jpg
    hell gill 016.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 207