Continued "SD" for a while, but... but... but... Oxlow, P8, Giants!

alastairgott

:(

Well they keep talking about how long this is going to go on for, I get the feeling that once we're all "back to work" they'll want us to keep up not really seeing your friends or doing anything fun.  :confused:

So in my own little mind I've had to think of a way that we might be able to do caving while Social distancing. Of course it will require a little preplanning.

What i'm vaguely thinking, is that you could go caving as a pair thus reducing your exposure to many people, but in a group of say 6 people.

To do this efficiently, you would have to have all the caves pre-rigged, therefore a couple of local clubs would have to hard rig the caves. Then you apply a Yorkshire style (or Eurospeleo style) cave booking system, where you get your slot and you get the cave done within that slot.

If you've got your group of 6, then you would stagger them going in two by two, Hurrah!

and just generally play it safe, but I know one things for sure if I can't go caving, then all I'm going to be doing is cycling. modus operandi!

AR

You could be on to something there, I did the Oxlow-Maskhill exchange solo a few years back when it was rigged for the anniversary weekend but I wasn't alone down there. I could see something like that working  for socially distanced caving?

PeteHall

This is where Mendip wins, you could be caving all day and only need to carry a couple of 20 foot ladders (plus a pork pie and half a gallon of rough cider). Ideal for socially distanced or solo caving. (y)

That said, you can't beat a big SRT trip solo. The look you get from the hill walkers, clad in wellies, battered oversuit and carrying three tackle sacks of rope, is priceless.
"Are you going down that hole? On your own?" long pause "is it dangerous?"  :LOL:

Barny

Mark said:
Ben Bentham was the original socially distanced caver.  ;)
He did get pissed off though when they discovered mud formations of real scientific interest in his mansion appartement in Buxton and they invaded his space to place ribbons

T pot 2

He also got pissed off when I whistled in lathkill head cave on the other side of the electric crab. Didn't realise  until ten minutes later that he'd Buggered off out.
Leaving me in isolation.

AR

Should have reminded him that it's only mines you're not supposed to whistle in, T!

Pitlamp

The great Mr P B Smith used to whistle deliberately in Peak Cavern whenever he wanted to get rid of Ben!

paul

Someone told me they went with Ben to descend Lathkill Top Entrance with ladders. When they got here Ben decided he didn't want to go in that day for some reason and just said "F**k it" and dropped the ladders down the pitch below... So that was that.

For quite a time his 3 wheeler van was regularly parked in the layby used for P8/Gautries etc. One time we had a chat with him  about his dig in P8 as we were getting changed. Seemed friendly enough and glad to have someone interested in his latest project. 

nearlywhite

PeteHall said:
This is where Mendip wins, you could be caving all day and only need to carry a couple of 20 foot ladders (plus a pork pie and half a gallon of rough cider). Ideal for socially distanced or solo caving. (y)

Think SOuth Wales really wins - pretty sure you could get all of british caving socially distanced in Draenen, Aggie, Darren or OFD I'd imagine  ;)

andrewmcleod

nearlywhite said:
Think SOuth Wales really wins - pretty sure you could get all of british caving socially distanced in Draenen, Aggie, Darren or OFD I'd imagine  ;)

About 60km of OFD divided amongst about 6000 BCA members gives each member about 10m of passage to (temporarily) call their own :)

Speleotron

Social distancing in Welsh caves would be quite hard as they only have one entrance! Open up another one for Aggy at the far end of the grand circle and you could feed cavers through it at 10 minute intervals.

Fjell

It?s certainly lonely up on the fell. Went up to Bull Pot farm today on the way to Booths (as you do) and the fells there are bone dry deserts. Quite ghostly.

Could do with some rain. Ground is almost too hard to walk on at the moment. Anyway, we have done about 200km of hill walks this month, so that is better than normal for sure. Except it?s the same range of hills.

AR

Was quite surprised to see someone else in Deepdale yesterday, photographing the flora - the usual fine display of cowslips and early purple orchids are coming out but they need rain too. I could certainly have Whale Sough all to myself if I wanted, but having said that I could have Whale Sough to myself most of the time!

Pitlamp

Stoney Boy said:
Pitlamp said:
The great Mr P B Smith used to whistle deliberately in Peak Cavern whenever he wanted to get rid of Ben!

Made me laugh.....remember the name " Grip Sheets Tomb"

Aye - a rather good anagram that. There were times when they didn't get on too well.