Farrant '95 "Long-term Quaternary chronologies from cave deposits"

RobinGriffiths

I've never understood these academic paper web sites. Being a member of the public, interested in science, you would have thought there would have been a cheaper way to view articles rather than paying ?20 or whatever for 24 hours. Or maybe I misunderstand how the system works.

Robin

MarkS

RobinGriffiths said:
I've never understood these academic paper web sites. Being a member of the public, interested in science, you would have thought there would have been a cheaper way to view articles rather than paying ?20 or whatever for 24 hours. Or maybe I misunderstand how the system works.

Robin

It's was/is a very bizarre system, but as of the last year or so, any papers arising from publicly funded research have to be freely available to anyone, so the situation should improve.

robjones

RobinGriffiths said:

Robin

University libraries do not pay VAT on their books and journals; one condition attached to this considerable saving is that they have to allow access to the public. Most universities' library catalogues are online and easily searched. If you live within reasonable distance of a university, you can access most material for free. The only exception is material which universities subscribe to online - access to these resources is limited to students, staff and a very small number of officially affiliated external researchers or, in some cases, external bodies/companies that pay for access (e.g. some law firms pay for access to university law libraries). One aspect to bear in mind is that university libraries generally only buy books and subscribe to journals  that support current teaching and support current research and consequently there may be considerable gaps in subject coverage.