Please help - new and looking for a cave to propose in

Tilly

Hi guys... Here is a random one for you...

I don't cave, my partner does bits. We were in the lakes and visited rydall caves and I noticed tea lights inside which I thought would be a great idea to do with a picnic.

We live Durham area and I'm looking to propose to him on 29th (please don't laugh). So I'm looking for something in Durham area where I can take some food and candles to make it romantic.

Friends suggested greggs hut instead however I'm 5ft 4 and not amazingly fit so the thought of carrying a huge bag miles before setting up in dark takes the shine off it.

Any ideas?

Tilly x

simonsays

Hi Tilly,

What a great idea :hug:

It's nowhere near Durham but may I suggest you consider the main chamber of Yordas cave. It's easily accessible to almost anyone and is only a two minute walk from the roadside. It's a truly impressive location 8)

It'll probably take you two hours to drive there from Durham.

Best of luck (y)

ChrisJC

Not sure there are any caves near Durham. Lots of mines though!, perhaps get in touch with the newly formed Cleveland Mining Heritage Society:
http://cmhs.org.uk/
They might be able to suggest somewhere more local that is underground.

Chris.

Goydenman

My son in law proposed in tunnel formed by small trees either side of a hillside path at night lit by candle light and fairy light etc - it's a walk near Skipton

One of my sons proposed by big waterfall near Ingleton at dusk by path that was lit by large torches set alight

I mention these because if you cant find a cave maybe something similiar to the above is a possibility - still same type of idea

Tilly

Thanks guys!

Even the tree idea sounds ideal.  I like the idea of Yordas Cave too.  I'll have a look.

My only concern is I'm based Durham he doesn't finish wok until 6pm, so it could make it a late one with a 2hr drive.  And with somehing local I could nip over and set it up.

Trust me to leave it to the last minute!

I had hoped of something around Consett or Stanhope ish areas as thats only 45mins away in car

Tilly

barrabus

A couple of years ago my a friend asked me for assistance when he proposed to his girlfriend. He borrowed an inflatable canoe which we carried up to Angle Tarn above Patterdale. He went off to pick his girlfriend up for an after work walk while I rowed out to the island and arranged 25 (!) head-torches in a ring on the island.

He returned later and they saw the lights and he said something along the lines of "Oooh, look over there. Let's go and have a look at that." He then got her in the canoe and they rowed out to the island where he proposed. Thankfully she said yes, which was good as she would have had trouble getting home if she'd said no.

AngleTarnProposal042.jpg

Tilly, good luck with tomorrow. I hope it goes well for you whatever you end up doing.

JeremyG

I proposed in Gnome Passage of OFD2 and am getting married this year in Tunnel Cave the other side of the valley.  (y)

cuteypie

Therer should be some cheap caving gear for sale soon then- I need an oversuit-size medium ( 2b if it's a meander) baggsy 1st refusal