Beginners caves

pibrahim

Hi all,

Off the back of a fairly recent trip to Box Mine, my friend and I are planning on going caving this weekend. 

We're trying to find a cave which doesn't have any SRT/climbing requirements (well, anything other than a scramble) but ideally still showcases a lot of other aspects of caving - sumps, squeezes, etc...

I've done some reading around on the forum and Great Douk and Long Churn seem to get bandied around a lot.  Any other caves that people would recommend?  We're making a weekend of it so will travel wherever necessary to ideally see as much as possible. 

Also, by all accounts, a lot of cave guide books are out of print (with 2nd hand copies very pricey) but trying to find online maps is a bit of a nightmare.  e.g. is this still the best/most appropriate map for Long Churn - http://cavemaps.org/surveys/gc/full/GC%20J2-1%20Long%20Churn%20and%20Diccan%20Pot%20to%20Alum%20Pot.png  ?

Any advice/tips/etc would be most appreciated!  I know the general advice is find a caving club, etc - and agree that long term, we need to do that, especially for climbing, etc., but advice for appropriate caves, etc. as well would be great.

Pete

Lazarus

The link you supplied for Long Churn just shows Lower Long Churn, which is pleasant and easy going and has a well known squeeze "The Cheesepress", if you know where to look.
This: http://cavemaps.org/surveys/gc/full/GC%20XXXX%20Alum%20Pot.png  shows Lower as well as Upper Long Churn which extends your outing and is mostly an easy stroll along a stream passage.
It might be worth pointing out that, despite being considered easy, the Long Churn cave system is prone to flooding, pick a dry day. 

tamarmole

If you are doing the Churns you could extend the trip by adding Wilson's (low entrance between Upper & Lower LC) and Borrins Moor (upstream from Upper LC).  Both are beginner friendly with no nasty surprises.  The only caveat is watch the weather.  If you are parking in Alum Pot Lane make sure you don't leave any obvious valuables in your vehicle.

Take care and have fun.

pibrahim

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I'm staring at the plan of Lower LC - could someone confirm which bit the Cheese Press is?  Things like the Traverse Pool, etc. seem to be highlighted but I can't spot the Cheese Press.

Good shout about Upper LC, seems a no-brainer to include that one too. 

Am looking for info on Borrins and Wilson's.  This post - http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=3763.70;wap2 - means about Inglesport selling surveys, anyone know if they sell these?

Also, is there a decent beginner route/entrance into Gaping Gill? 

Brains

On your original link the cheese press is near the "W" of the compass, between the "Crack Descent" and the "8ft Pitch" and is marked as "dry branch"
It is a flat out crawl at chest height going in, gradually opening out onto ledges above an 8ft climb down.... The water drops into ladder pool via an inetresting climb. Beware the 40 ft pitch to Dolly tubs!

cap n chris

Box Freestone Quarries (although most people refer to them as Box Mine) are in the South West, whereas the caves being debated are quite a  l o n g  way away from there. It begs an obvious question to Pibrahim namely whereabouts are you based?... it'll then be easier to suggest suitable beginners' trips.

Also note that although Long Churn is used by novice groups it is not an all-weather venue and has sadly claimed lives in poor conditions and the multiple entrances have caught a few people unawares too, and the consequences of that could be very significant.

The terrain and techniques involved in Box Quarry/Mine are VERY different indeed from those relevant in an active streamway cave.

Pitlamp

TheBitterEnd said:
pibrahim said:
Am looking for info on Borrins and Wilson's.  This post - http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=3763.70;wap2 - means about Inglesport selling surveys, anyone know if they sell these?

I believe the Alum pot surveys are still in stock in Inglesport, best to phone and check. It is in the form of a colour poster and will get wrecked underground but I don't think they are too expensive

If you try everywhere and can't get one, send a PM. I think I've got one somewhere you can have. I don't want to stop our caving shops making sales and I'd kind of like to hang onto it anyway - but if you get really stuck let me know.

pibrahim

My friend and I are based in London (which obviously isn't massively convenient for caving).  Yorkshire's a heck of a drive but we thought we'd make a weekend of it and try and see as much as possible.  We're not absolutely wedded to that area though, if anyone has alternative suggestions (looked at Giant's Hole in Derbyshire but wasn't too sure how it compared and what else we might try and do on the other day). 

Thanks for the kind offer Pitlamp - I just this morning forked out for Northern Caves Vol 2 so fingers crossed that will help us!

TheBitterEnd

Best pick a dry weekend if you are driving all that way to the Dales, there isn't a lot you can do without vertical gear (and, dare I mention it, a permit) if it's wet. As others have said the Churns and Borrins moor are weather dependent. Ibbeth Peril is possibly another straight forward cave you can have a poke about in IF it is settled dry weather.

zomjon

As for your reference to Giants, in comparison to the majority of Yorkshire trips that have been mentioned so far, probably a lot more varied and challenging if you are going beyond Garlands - though of course a ladder and life line would be needed.

TheBitterEnd

A potter around Birwith - Browgill, Old Ing etc. could be worth while.

It's always hard to advise, so much is down to your personal abilities and experience.

JasonC

pibrahim said:
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I'm staring at the plan of Lower LC - could someone confirm which bit the Cheese Press is?  Things like the Traverse Pool, etc. seem to be highlighted but I can't spot the Cheese Press....

BTW, if/when you do get to look at Lower LC, don't be downhearted if the Cheese Press proves impassable - I'm by no means stout, but I can't get through the bastard.  There's a challenge for you..... :)

pibrahim

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

It was a bit too late to start from scratch planning somewhere closer, so we're gonna stick with the Dales and try and see as much as we can.

At the moment the plan is looking like:

Saturday:
Browhill Cave to Calf Holes
Ibbeth Peril 1 (this was a great suggestion!)

Sunday:
Borrins Moor Cave
Upper and Lower Long Churn

(obviously all weather permitting)

Does that sound feasible and realistic for two days..? 

Andrew W

Calf Holes/Browgill and Ibbeth Peril are a moderately lengthy drive away from each other. Within walking distance of Calf Holes you also have Birkwith Cave and Old Ing which are worth visiting, especially if you are already there.