Valley Entrance Pitch

Fatman

Hi,
It's been a while since I've done the Simpsons/Valley Entrance(VE) through trip. There was a fixed rope down the 20Ft pitch in VE, just asking if its still in place to save pre-rigging/free climb.

Cheers 

Pitlamp

It is possible to chuck a rope over that rock bridge and haul up a ladder from below, if necessary. It's slightly balancy getting off the ladder but easier than doing the free climb.

Just saying, as that's another option if things aren't as you're expecting.

Fatman

Cheers, it must be 30 years since I did the free climb and not sure if the gut would get in the way as I remember having to do a belly flop.

Fjell

There are two ropes hanging down. I put my Traxion on the second rope and then rerig the pitch for the others.

Since I don?t take a ladder, you could always use the traverse line in the roof from about 20-30m upstream, there is a crack climb up which is much easier than the one at the pitch. Or start way further upstream for laughs. There is a wire I have yet to have a go at.

Pitlamp

Then again you can be at the pitch from Valley Entrance in about 10 minutes, so whoever gets changed first could nip in and rig it, to be sure.

Have a good trip, however you play your cards.

Gerbil007

I was there a few weeks ago and there were a couple of ropes on it. I?d still go in beforehand and put my own on though. It would be an embarrassing place to get stuck.  :-[

Fatman

Thanks for the info.
Also is the the Hill Inn open at the weekends? Hopefully popping in for old times sake.

caving_fox

For the sake of 20mins while the others are rigging the top pitch/finding the entrance, always rig your own VE rope.

Fatman

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately my caving partner suspiciously developed a bad back so decided to frazzle ourselves bumbling up penyghent whilst being attacked by horse flies. Had a good session at the helwith bridge and good to catch up with badlad.

adep

Couple of rope in a few weeks ago, free climbed out as you do, just to prove how easy it was, felt a lot harder than i remember, nearly made a tit of myself!