Birmingham University(s) caving club

bauton

Hi,
I have been thinking that it is past overdue that the West Midlands gets a student caving club. I am considering resurrecting BUSS in some form or another at one of Birmingham's 4 Unis in the next academic year. if anybody is interested in joining or helping, especially current students, please get in touch,  there is much to do.

alastairgott

I believe Coventry uni mountaineering club would be a good place to start. It's on the verge anyway, just needs a nudge in the right direction.

Caver Keith

I will talk to members of Dudley Caving Club tomorrow evening but I'm fairly certain that, as a local caving club, we will be happy to help and assist in any way we can.

chunky

Caver Keith beat me to it. We're only just down the road and get underground on a fairly regular basis so would be happy to help out if we can.  (y)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
I went to Birmingham University and was a member of BUSS - would love to help  :)

bauton

That's great to hear such support. I will be reaching out to student mountaineering/climbing clubs and other societies to coerce invite current students to get involved to form a committee that one of the Unions will recognise.
Pegasus,
what happened to BUSS in the end?

wildsurf

I was a BUSS member pretty much until the end. It died from a failure to attract and retain fresher's. Active membership dwindled away until there were no longer any student members. There are a handful of us final members who cave occasionally and still sign ourselves as BUSS. Tom Clayton now of Red Rose was the final president I believe. I'm not sure exact dates, but I'd guess 2001 would have been the final year.

It was a sad end to a fine club and whilst I am mostly and arm chair caver these days I'd help out on trips where I could.