Joining BCA....

Amy

Hey!

So...yeah it's time, I want to join the BCA. Looking at it though, since I do plan on visiting and caving, should I join a club and then the bca, which is a different thing, but says it gets me the insurance (I remember insurance coming up in past discussions) or just as the basic individual member? If the former, I guess I need to join Wessex if they'll have me =)

Glenn

Hi Amy, it depends on what you want from your membership. If you want the publications (handbook, newsletter, magazine) as well as the PLI cover, you need the full membership. You can do that on-line here;
http://caves.org.uk/payments/bca/index.html

If you only require the PLI cover, then you can join via a club for a reduced price. I don't know how specific clubs manage new members from overseas, so maybe the easiest way to join BCA (although more expensive) is to join on-line as described.

If you want more information (than I have time to give here) please email me at:
membership at british-caving dot org dot uk

Pitlamp

Of course, the Wessex is a very good club, if you're looking to join one in the UK.
Active, friendly - and with an excellent hostel. (I'm not a member but I know many of them well.)

Amy

It sounded like it was an additional 3 pounds to get the publications mailed to the US.

Full membership sounds like it's 17 pounds, plus additional for insurance (is that needed for me?) and then 3 pounds for overseas mailings.

- Amy

Glenn

Hi Amy,

Club Individual Membership is ?17.00. You join via your club. It is the lowest price way to join BCA and receive PLI cover. But you have to join via a club.

Direct Individual Membership is ?32.00 plus whatever the overseas posting is. This option comes with publications.

Hope this helps.

bograt

DIM is probably not over the odds taking in club membership fees, what are clubs charging for membership these days?

Slug

Just be aware Amy, that if You hang around with them Wessex types, they will probably take you to the Centre of the known Universe A.K.A. The Hunters, and as far as I know B.C.A. insurance DOES NOT cover Cider Poisoning.. :(

graham

Slug said:
Just be aware Amy, that if You hang around with them Wessex types, they will probably take you to the Centre of the known Universe A.K.A. The Hunters, and as far as I know B.C.A. insurance DOES NOT cover Cider Poisoning.. :(

Whereas the FFS insurance, as used in France, Belgium, Ireland, does actually cover parties.

Seriously.

underground

Slug said:
It's worth it though  :alien:

Amy

I love the center of the universe!!! I mentioned the Wessex in particular as I greatly enjoyed my stay there in 2010 and being shown around by Les and others :)

I am hoping to visit for about 3 weeks around hidden earth this year. Hopefully... :) flights seem to insist in being about $1100 though...in 2010 it was $650 so...yeah.

I want to hit a lot if mendip and South Wales, as well as a poke up to gaping gill and Titan.

Glenn

Hi Amy,

It's worth mentioning that the cost of BCA membership reduces by 25% each quarter, so if you are only joining for the time you are here, then maybe it would be worth waiting until July before joining?

Amy

Thanks for all the advice, and thanks Glenn for being so quick, holy moley!

Yup it's official, and I already got it in the mail. NEVER known UK to US mail be this fast! :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1175718_614152825291639_56535618_n.jpg