Caves in the dales in the wet

• Thread starter adventure_barbie
  • Start date
A

adventure_barbie

Hey Guys

I'm over caving in the dales at the mo and its quite wet at the mo.

I'm not too sure whats do-able in this weather. I have a permit for lost johns tomoz but not sure if its safe to go in there with the amount of rain that theres been.

Advice would be appreicated

dunc

I know the Dales were wet on Sunday, had to change our planned trip because of it (just aswell going on the amount of water about when we exited - and I believe there was a rescue in KMC/Valley due to water levels) - not sure how much more rain came down that evening, Monday or today. Forecast for tomorrow is more showers with rain later on, so if you did go caving, I would say start early and be prepared for an increase in water levels when underground (and rig accordingly).

I've seen pictures of (example) and heard people say they've been in LJ's when the stream was knee deep and I know from last year when we were doing an exchange with Boxhead when it well and truly hammered it down one afternoon and everyone exited ok if a little 'sportier' than expected! 

I would avoid the Old Roof Traverse/Monastery route for obvious reasons.

A

adventure_barbie

Yeah heard about that myself, i think it was two groups one in simpsons and the other in swinstow. I heard valley sumped thats what concered me? What did ya hear yourself?

Geoff R

Why not call into Inglesport for advice ....
ask about Alum pot (direct ?), Bar pot, Sell Gill (dry) but I bet others can suggest more  :coffee:

Andy

Did Bar Pot and Flood (wade's) on Monday. Both had already been derigged by the winch folks. There was a decent amount of water going down SE Pot (quite a lot actually!) but it was fine with both deviations in place.

A

adventure_barbie

Thanks guys for the advice. We ended up doing Lancaster hole had a ponder around easegill and then did the first bit of Rowten twas splashly one might say  :blink: