Cable gland thread on CEAG / SpeleoTechnics

cseal

Does anyone know what the thread is on the cable gland hole for CEAG / SpeleoTechnics cap-lamps? 

I have some old cap-lamps and and some spare LEDs/drivers etc - so I've been thinking of using the cap-lamps for extra caving lights e.g. for friends that occasionally go caving with me. 

PG7 is too small, PG9 too big.  I'm guessing it's somewhere near 14mm - but the pitch looks to be about 20 threads/inch - so I don't think it's a standard M14 thread (but I haven't tried).  Customduo sell cable glands for Oldham caplamps (see http://www.customduo.co.uk/Pitlamp-Modules-1/) but these are too small for CEAG/Speleotechnics cap-lamps.

Thanks in advance, Chris

iwebb

I dont know if the Oldham headset is the same thread as the CEAG but I have just measured my Oldham at 1/2" x 20tpi
This is a 1/2inch Unified Fine Thread (UNF)

The PG(PanzerGewinde) thread is metric and often found on electrical/conduit type applications so I would think it unlikely but not impossible on vintage UK products

Hope this helps or rules out possibilities/unknowns

PM me if you would like to try an genuine oldham gland screw FOC

cseal

iwebb said:
I dont know if the Oldham headset is the same thread as the CEAG but I have just measured my Oldham at 1/2" x 20tpi
This is a 1/2inch Unified Fine Thread (UNF)

The PG(PanzerGewinde) thread is metric and often found on electrical/conduit type applications so I would think it unlikely but not impossible on vintage UK products

Hope this helps or rules out possibilities/unknowns

PM me if you would like to try an genuine oldham gland screw FOC

Thanks and for the offer.  However I can confirm that it's not the same as the Oldham headset (but useful to know that's 1/2" UNF); the Oldham one is too small.  If I had to guess for imperial sizes the CEAG/SpeleoTechnics would be something like 9/16" at 20tpi - but this doesn't seem to be a standard size.

wormster

I tapped one of mine to 1/2" npt then used 5531 locktite on a suitable 9/16" by 1/2" npt stainless steel sewage fitting, I replaced the front and back ferrules with 3x 1/4" silicon o rings. Did the bugga up R.F.T no leaks 5 years down the road.

iwebb

If your fairly certain it is 9/16" x 20tpi it would be

9/16 x 20  UNS (unified special)

This is a special thread series for applications where the standard thread series is not suited

The Oldham headset uses Unified threads

A tap is available from Tracy Tools (Devon way)
Below is a link to show that a tap to make this thread is still possible to buy

https://www.tracytools.com/9-16-x-20-tpi

Hope this helps

PeteHall

A Wessex member was recently getting rid of a load of old SpeleoTechnics FX units for free: https://www.facebook.com/groups/362137130543839/permalink/3868372336586950/

Last time I was up at the hut (albeit at least a month ago) there was still plenty to be had from the box. Perhaps there is still one left for you to pinch a cable gland from?  :confused:

Failing that, I have a couple of old SpeleoTechnics headsets that are unlikely to both get used any time soon. I have various other headsets knocking about as well, so if I do have a fit of creativity and decide to make several new lamps, I should still be able to sacrifice one unit. Drop me a PM if you want.