Large Format Scanning of Surveys

Gerbil007

I've begun to build a collection of surveys, which, due to them being in the larger paper formats, are about as much practical use to me as tits on a bull. What I'd like is a digital copy of said surveys, but am struggling to find someone locally with access to the required hardware. (Not entirely true; did find one place who'd do it, but for ?125!!  :eek: )
Anyone got any ideas?

maxb727

Find someone in your local council and see if they have a big scanner?

James got his survey scanned by a friend in Basildon Council.

graham

Gerbil007 said:
I've begun to build a collection of surveys, which, due to them being in the larger paper formats, are about as much practical use to me as tits on a bull. What I'd like is a digital copy of said surveys, but am struggling to find someone locally with access to the required hardware. (Not entirely true; did find one place who'd do it, but for ?125!!  :eek: )
Anyone got any ideas?

You will find digital versions of the surveys that used to be published by the Mendip Cave Survey Scheme on the MCRA here. In addition, the surveys produced by UBSS can generally be found via their literature search in digital format. Bear in mind that various copyright restrictions apply to all of these.

Gerbil007

Thanks Graham. With regard to copyright, would my intention to digitise my purchased surveys put me in breach do you think? I'm not looking to print any, beyond the relevant sections for my trips as required.

Cave_Troll

lay it flat on the floor and take digital photos?

We did this once down a cave when the survey got we and started to fall apart!

Pitlamp

I asked "Photomechanical Services" in Blackburn (Lancashire) to scan the original (large) 1838 survey of Ingleborough Cave a while back. It was just a few quid and I got it on a disc AND a large printed copy as well. This is the sort of company which caters for the requirements of those who work in drawing offices. There will be one in any reasonable sized town. If you are ever in Blackburn I can honestly say that the service I've had from Photomechanical Services has always been very good.

ttxela

Our Local Labute copy centre do large format scans for a few quid, if you take your own memory stick in it saves the cost of a disk.

The price of ?125 must have been for the whole collection?

Gerbil007

Sorry for my absenteeism from this thread. I genuinely appreciate all the pointers and advice.
Ian, Les is correct, I am indeed down south, but thanks for your implied offer.
I'll keep trying with the local print centres; maybe one of them will come good.

I know there are a few surveys available online, but it's often occurred to me that a central database of UK cave surveys, held together online, would be a brilliant thing. The 'owner' of the original could even levy a charge of, say a fiver a download. The end user gets his or her survey in a format that is actually useful. Everyone's happy!