Help Distox Calibration

Goydenman

Can anyone help me. I had my first go at calibrating my Distox. Got a bluetooth connection confirmed by flashing symbol on Disto A3. Pressed menu: calibration on PDA Topo. Title at top of screen was calibration. Then wanted to press Menu: Start but it was faded i.e. unavailable as was stop and update. Tried various things on PDA and Disto but could not get 'Start' to be available - any idea what I am doing wrong.

SamT

has it downloaded any of your readings resident on the A3 to the pocket topo app. yet.

If not - sounds like its not communicating properly yet. (probably a Port number issue if so)

mulucaver

SamT said:
has it downloaded any of your readings resident on the A3 to the pocket topo app. yet.

If not - sounds like its not communicating properly yet. (probably a Port number issue if so)

If the bluetooth symbol on the DistoX is flashing then there is a connection. It may have been busy downloading stored readings.

Goydenman

Done it - yes it was com port problem. I had set com port for setting up Bluetooth connection and hence got the flashing symbol. What I needed to doi was set the com port in Topo - one I did the menu options became available

Goydenman

I give up!! - anyone out there willing to meet up with me and show me how to calibrate this thing. I have set pda port to com 1 (see comments above) and menu became available but when I press calibration mode it just says connection failed. Tried all sorts. Live in Leeds but willing to travel within 50 mile range. HELP someone please  :cry:

wookey

Is your problem calibrating, or talking to a PDA? Calibration is independent of the PDA connection. The bluetooth PDA connection bit can be really quite cranky, I understand.

footleg

Have you seen this post where I provided a step by step walk through to get a PDA connected?
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,8543.msg112234.html#msg112234

Also we found that COM1 did not work for several people. My PDA only lets me set up the DistoX using COM7 or COM8. But at least one other person had to use COM6. I'd try those numbers in settting up the Windows Mobile to DistoX connection first. Then set PocketTopo to use the same COM port.

I'll be up in the Dales giving a DistoX workshop at the Cave Surveying Group meet on 17-18th April if you need someone to look at it still in a couple of weeks time.

Goydenman

Thanks footleg I have already booked to be on the field meet in April - in the meantime I will have a go with different ports.

Goydenman

Footleg I have set Topo to com port 7 - how do I set bluetooth connection to com port 7 as well. When identified bluetooth device it automatically selects com port 1. Also found out that device is set up for Inbound com port 5 and outbound com port 8 all means nothing to me. It is HP 2210 if that helps. I will be bringing it to the field meet anyway just thought Id mention it in case you have easy quick answer.

footleg

I'm not familiar with the bluetooth configuration screens on HP PDAs, so would be interested to see yours at the meet. But if it is set to inbound and outbound ports 5 and 8 then try each of these in PocketTopo in turn, so see if you can put the DistoX into cal mode with either setting. If one of them works then at least you are up and running.